Department of Management Studies IIT Madras
|Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras|
|Head||Prof. L.Prakash sai|
- 1 History
- 2 Programs
- 3 Extracurricular
- 4 Events
- 5 Student initiatives and interfaces
- 6 Collaborations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
IIT Madras was established in 1959. The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at IIT Madras offered management education in the form of M. Tech. (Industrial Engineering) from 1959 . A MBA program was started by the department in 2001. The Department of Management Studies came into existence in April 2004.
The MBA programme is a two-year programme, structured with courses spread over seven quarters and about five to six courses per quarter. The first year contains core courses that are compulsory for all students, whereas the second year mostly has electives and a few core courses. In the summer break between the first and second year, students work on a summer project with a company.
Apart from regular academics, course activities include taking courses on audit, field visits, participating in management workshops, organizing professional events, and working on live business projects. The programme includes three core courses on Industrial and Business Domains spread over the last three quarters.
Students of the programme can opt for auditing courses (i.e. taking classes but not assignments or exams and not receiving credits) from any of the elective courses offered by the Department of Management Studies or from the more than 300 courses offered by the other 14 departments in the institute.
Co-curricular courses offered at the department include business communication and presentation skills, negotiation skills, teamwork and conflict resolution skills, time management, business etiquette, and foreign languages (primarily German).
The batch size is in the range of 60 to 70 students, picked from over 250,000 applicants who take up the Common Admission Test (CAT) conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management followed by a Group Task/Personal interview session later on. Until 2011 admission was based on the Joint Management Entrance Test conducted by the IITs and Indian Institute of Science in rotation. From the academic year 2012 JMET is replaced with the Common Admission Test.
Postgraduate programme for executives For visionary leadership in manufacturing (PGPEX-VLM) is a year-long joint program of IIM Calcutta, IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras.
It is an initiative of the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council, government of India, for career development/advancement of engineers/ executives with work experience. The PGPEX-VLM program was designed by the IIM Calcutta, IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras in consultation with industry, the Confederation of Indian Industry, the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA), NMCC and MHRD. The government of Japan extends cooperation to support transfer of Japanese expertise and visit to manufacturing centers of excellence in Japan for the PGPEX-VLM Programs, through JICA.
Selection of candidates is made on the basis of academic background, which has to be first division/first class from school (SLC/ Madhyamik) board examination level to graduation level, relevant work experience, employer’s recommendations, performance in the aptitude test and personal interview conducted jointly by IIMC, IITK and IITM. For self sponsored candidates a minimum of four and half years to a maximum of ten years of work experience in manufacturing and related sector is mandatory. For sponsored candidates, the upper limit on maximum experience of 10 years is waived. Approximate batch size is 35-40.
DoMS IIT Madras offers two categories of the MS program:
- Master of Science (by Research) is characterized by a research component in the curriculum. MS prepares the student in conducting managerially relevant research in areas of management.
- Master of Science (by Entrepreneurship) exposes the students to opportunities in entrepreneurship and requires them to design and test the commercial viability of products/processes or business models and services that could be eventually commercialized.
Ph.D in Management
In research it is ranked as top public Bschool in India. Prof Rajendran C. It is ranked 15th among the top 20 h-index POM (production & operation management) researchers in last 50 years (1959-2008) in the world with an h-index of 21. Another faculty member Dr. Arshinder Kaur received highly commended Emerald/EFMD Doctoral Awards 2008 for her doctoral thesis in Logistics and supply chain management category. In terms of research productivity in production and operations management area Indian Institute of Technology has been ranked in the top 20 institutes in the world.
Doctoral research at DoMS IIT Madras has won international awards and funding. In 2007 Dr. Sandhya Shekhar's doctoral thesis won Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctoral Research Award in Knowledge Management category. In 2011, Dr. K. Gopalakrishnan's doctoral thesis and Dr. Priya Nair's doctoral thesis were highly commended Emerald/EFMD Doctoral Awards 2011 in "Knowledge Management" and "Management & Governance" category respectively. In 2009, doctoral student Arti Kalro won "Emerald/AIMA Indian Management Research Fund Award" for the theme "Understanding and addressing cataract-related eye care issues in rural Tamil Nadu".
The department offers PhD in finance, general management, HR and OB, marketing, operations, strategic management, systems and IT management, and technology management area. The requirements for PhD admission are:
- A master's degree in an eligible discipline with a good academic record
- Qualification in CAT/AIMA/GATE/UGC-NET JRF or Lectureship or equivalent.
- Candidates with at least five years managerial experience are also eligible in lieu of the qualifying test.
- DoMS Day Out, is an intra-departmental sporting event held every year during March–April.
- DoMS Cricket League. In Feb, 2011 the 5th edition of DCL (DCL 5.0) was conducted. Unlike the normal cricket formats each team has only seven players (five males + two girls compulsory)+ one substitute player.
Other activities include the Teacher's Day event, Hostel Day event, industrial visits, class trips and Outbound at Dawn.
Samanvay is the annual National Business School Fest of the IIT Madras. It is organized by students of MBA at Department of Management Studies. Each year Samanvay revolves around a theme. Samanvay 2010 was inaugurated by Mr K. Ananth Krishnan, Chief Technology Officer, Tata Consultancy Services. Some of the recurring events are business plan contest, panel discussion by industry experts, online quizzing and events on finance, marketing, operations, HR and consulting.
ICON or Inter-Corporate Outbound National Championship is a sporting event organized by DoMS, IITM for the corporate community. Teams spanning the country are pitted against each other to demonstrate their teamwork and leadership skills in a fun-filled informal way.
Student initiatives and interfaces
Some of them are listed below. shmi Narayanan (CEO & President, Cognizant Technologies Solutions)
In CEO connect business leaders are invited to the campus, to share their experiences. The essence of the event is to provide the students an opportunity to get a perspective from the captains of the industry.
Managers are invited for lectures and workshops.
Management Insights for Social Transformation (MIST)
Management Insights for Social Transformation (MIST) is a forum in the department which invites philanthropists, who have reached out to the society, to share their experiences and enrich the students in their attitude towards the society.
MBA Invitational Lecture Series (MILS)
Started in 2011, the Invitation Lecture Series initiative is a lecture event.
DoMS Interface (DI)
DoMS INTERFACE is an initiative to develop a forum whose objective is to be a program communication link to the outside world which includes corporate world, prospective students, alumni and media.
Mannheim Business School, Germany
The department has a Memorandum of Understanding with Mannheim Business School Germany for exchange of students and faculty. The students at either universities do courses from the other for a semester.
Indian School of Business
Other MOUs for Student Exchange
The institute supports collaboration between other universities at the national and international level. DoMS involves itself by facilitating student and faculty exchange programs across universities. Other universities and organizations DoMS has an MoU with are:
- Deggendorf University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- European Business School, Wiesbadan, Germany
- Hof University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- Indian School of Business, Hyderabad
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- Kyushu University, Fukoka, Japan
- Management Centre, Innsbruck, Austria
- RWTH Aachen University, Germany
- Sauder Business School, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Seoul National University, Korea
- T U Hamburg, Germany
- Technical University of Munich, Germany
- Technische Universitat Darmstadt, Germany
- University of Bremen, Germany
- University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany
- University of Passau, Germany
- "Page not found News". Archived from the original on 3 January 2018. Retrieved 5 May 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 June 2012. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 June 2012. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 July 2012. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 August 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Top B scols across 7 parameters". Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- Hsieh, Pao-Nuan; Chang, Pao-Long (June 2010). "Addendum to an assessment of world-wide research productivity in production and operations management". International Journal of Production Economics. 125 (2): 335–338. doi:10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.11.035. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "2008 Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctoral Research Award Winners". Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "2007 Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctoral Research Award Winners". Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "Emerald insight awards 2011". Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- "Emerald/AIMA Research Fund Award". Emeraldinsight.com. Retrieved 2018-05-05.
- "Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)". Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 March 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 March 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 6 September 2008.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- Department of Management Studies IIT Madras Interfaces
- Student blog.
- SAMANVAY - The annual B-school festival
- Research collaboration with ISB, Hyderabad.
- Inter-Corporate Outbound National Championship