|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
DIA (//; Korean: 다이아; shortened from DIAMOND and backronym for Do It Amazing) is a South Korean girl group formed by MBK Entertainment in 2015. The group currently consists of eight members: Eunice, Jueun, Huihyeon, Jenny, Yebin, Chaeyeon, Eunchae and Somyi. They made their debut as a seven-member group in September 2015 with their studio album Do It Amazing and its lead single "Somehow". Their highest position on the Gaon chart was number forty-eight with "On the Road", the title track of their first extended play Happy Ending (2016).
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Concerts
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
2015: Formation and debut
In February 2015, MBK Entertainment announced its plans to debut a new girl group. Originally, the company had decided to have possible candidates for their new group compete on a reality survival program, through which the public could become familiar with the group members. MBK Entertainment revealed the first potential members to be Huihyeon, Eunjin and Kim Minhyun. Minhyun later left the project due to personal reasons, and Moon Seulgi and Chaeyeon were added to replace her. On February 10, Kim Dani was confirmed to be joining the project and announced the program's name "T-ara's Little Sister Girl Group". An additional member, Seunghee was also confirmed to have joined the lineup. Seunghee originally made her debut as member of F-ve Dolls in 2013, however she left two years later when the group disbanded. In June, MBK announced that they had cancelled their plans for a survival program, and decided to select the members internally. The final three members, Yebin, Eunice and Jenny were revealed and the group was set to debut in August under the name "DIA". MBK announced a line-up with six members: Eunice, Huihyeon (originally under the stage name Cathy), Jenny, Yebin, Eunjin and Chaeyeon. Seunghee was added to the line-up before debut.
On September 14, 2015, DIA released their self-titled debut album, Do It Amazing. On the same day, the music video for their lead single, "Somehow", was released. Their first official public appearance was also on September 14 when the group performed a showcase at the Ilchi Art Hall in Seoul. They made their official debut stage on the music program M! Countdown on September 17, 2015. On October 19, DIA released the music video for "My Friend's Boyfriend", another song from their debut album, and they continued their promotions for this new song on music stages.
On December 17, Cathy and Chaeyeon were announced to have temporarily withdrawn from DIA to join Mnet's Girl Group Project Produce 101. It was revealed that both Cathy and Chaeyeon auditioned and signed contracts with the show before DIA's official debut. DIA was said to continue to promote as a five-member group for the time being. After being eliminated in episode 11, Cathy resumed her activities with the group. Chaeyeon placed 7th in the final episode which granted her entrance to I.O.I, and she continued her hiatus for ten months to carry out her activities with I.O.I when the project group debuted in May.
2016: Happy Ending, Spell and sub-units
On March 7, MBK Entertainment announced the addition of a new member, Eunchae (introduced with her real name Chaewon) and confirmed they were currently preparing for a comeback. On April 13, MBK Entertainment announced that Seunghee departure from the group following expiration of her contract on April 30 and she decided not to renew. On April 19, I.O.I's agency stated each girl's contracts allowed for the possibility of activities under their respective companies while under the group, however indicating that "I.O.I will be promoting as a whole or in units for the upcoming 10 months". On May 11, MBK Entertainment later confirmed that Chaeyeon and Cathy would returned to the group for upcoming comeback. It was confirmed that Cathy would used her real name Huihyeon and Chaewon would used the stage name Eunchae for future promotions. On May 28, DIA performed at the Youth Dance Festival with Eunchae for first time. DIA's first mini album Happy Ending was released on June 14. The group also released the music video for lead single "On The Road" on the same day, and had their comeback stage on M Countdown on June 16.
On August 11, MBK Entertainment released a teaser for their Harry Potter-themed comeback. The group held a showcase for their second mini album Spell at Blue Square Samsung Card Hall on September 12. The title track Mr. Potter and mini album were available for digital purchase on September 13, and physical purchase on September 21. On December 8, DIA announced that they would hold their first concert, First Miracle on December 24 and 25. On December 27, 2016, MBK Entertainment announced that DIA would release a special digital single album First Miracle DIAID Ⅰ, Ⅱ. The group was separated into two "A" and "B" sub-units. The A sub-unit "BinChaenHyunSeu" consisted of members Yebin, Chaeyeon, Huihyeon, and Eunice, and released the song "You Are the Moon and Earth" on December 29. The B sub-unit "L.U.B." (shortened from "Lovely Unit B"), consisted of members Jenny, Eunjin and Eunchae and released the song "13/32" on December 31. Both sub-units promoted on music shows in January 2017.
2017–present: YOLO, Love Generation
On March 18, DIA was spotted filming their reality show YOLO TRIP in Japan. On March 31, it was confirmed that the reality show would begin airing on April 9 on the TV network Onstyle. On April 5, Jueun and Somyi were announced as members of the group. On April 6, their pre-release single " You Are My Flower" was released, which featured trot singers Kim Yeon Ja and Hong Jin-young. On April 19, DIA's second studio album YOLO was released. The album's contained fourteen tracks, with the lead single titled "Will You Go Out With Me?". The album also include several tracks composed by the members themselves and featuring various artists rapper DinDin, trot singers Kim Yeon-ja and Hong Jin-young, and former I.O.I member Kim Chung-ha. DIA's third mini album Love Generation was released on August 22, 2017.The album contains twelve tracks, with the lead single titled "Can't Stop".
On September 4, 2017, MBK Entertainment announced that Yebin and Somyi would be participating in The Unit: Idol Rebooting Project. The group promoted with seven members, with Yebin and Somyi on hiatus. On October 12, a repackaged edition of Love Generation, titled Present, was released. It contained the songs from Love Generation, along with four new songs, including the title track "Good Night" and duet track "Seoraksan in October" by Yebin and Somyi, which was previously released on September 28. Despite the album featuring the participation of Yebin and Somyi, the two remained absent for its promotions due to The Unit. On February 10, 2018 The Unit concluded with Yebin ranking 2ndand becoming a member of project girl group UNI.T, while Somyi finished on ranked 12th. Yebin would promote as a member for 7 months. On May 7, 2018, Eunjin officially left the group due to health problems.
Adapted from their Naver profile
- Eunice (유니스) — Vocalist
- Jueun (주은) — Vocalist
- Huihyeon (희현) — Leader, Rapper
- Jenny (제니) — Vocalist
- Yebin (예빈) — Main Vocalist
- Chaeyeon (채연) — Vocalist
- Eunchae (은채) — Vocalist
- Somyi (솜이) — Vocalist
- Seunghee (승희)
- Eunjin (은진)
- BinChaenHyunSeuS (빈챈현스S) – Yebin, Chaeyeon, Huihyeon, Eunice, Somyi
- L.U.B – Jueun, Jenny, Eunchae
- DIA 1st Concert [First Miracle] (2016)
Awards and nominations
|2016||DIA||New Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|New Artist Award||Nominated|
|Hallyu Special Award||Nominated|
|Hallyu Special Award||Nominated|
AfreecaTV BJ Awards
|2015||DIA||Special Idol Awards||Won|
|2016||DIA||Most Popular Artist (Singer)||Nominated|
|2017||Rising Star Award||Won|
Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards
|2016||DIA||Kpop Singer Award||Won|
|2017||"You are My Flower" (Hong Jin Young, DIA and Kim Yeon Ja)||Best Trot||Nominated|
- "Gaon September 2016 Album Chart" (in Korean). Gaon September 2015 Album Chart. Archived from the original on January 4, 2017.
- "MBK Entertainment (Core Contents Media) reported to also unleash a new girl group this year". Allkpop. January 6, 2015.
- "MBK Entertainment (Core Contents Media) to air a survival show for its new girl group + details on trainee Seulgi". Allkpop. February 3, 2015.
- "MBK Entertainment to launch 'T-ara's Little Sister Girl Group' survival program + Dani to join as a member". Allkpop. February 10, 2015.
- "Former 5Dolls' Seunghee is the final member participating in MBK Entertainment's new girl group project". Allkpop. March 19, 2015.
- "MBK Entertainment scraps plans for a survival reality show for new girl group + reveals three finalized members". allkpop.com. 2015-06-04. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "MBK Entertainment's new girl group 'DIA' to make their debut in August!". allkpop.com. 2015-06-29. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "DIA says it's 'Somehow' a good day in debut MV". allkpop.com. 2015-09-14. Retrieved 2015-09-19.
- "MBK's new girl group Dia to perform their title track for the first time with a debut showcase!". allkpop.com. 2015-09-09. Retrieved 2015-09-19.
- "Dia are bubbly and bright in follow-up MV 'My Friend's Boyfriend'!". allkpop.com. 2015-10-19. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- "다이아 측 "채연·캐시 잠정 탈퇴..'프로듀스' 합류" [공식입장]". naver.com. 2015-12-17. Retrieved 2015-12-17.
- "다이아, 정채연·기희현 빈자리 채웠다..6인조로 재정비" (in Korean). OSEN. March 7, 2016.
- "DIA Adds New Member, Reforms as 6-Member Group". Soompi. March 7, 2016.
- "DIA Seunghee's contract with MBK Entertainment to expire this month". allkpop.com. 2016-04-12. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "YMC Entertainment clears up misunderstanding about IOI's upcoming schedule". allkpop.com. 2016-04-19. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "아이오아이 정채연, 6월 다이아 컴백 확정…기희현 합류 :: 네이버 TV연예" (in Korean). tvreport.co.kr. 2016-05-11. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "다이아, "컬러풀하게 돌아온다" 9월 12일 대형 쇼케이스 개최!" (in Korean). mbk-ent.com. August 30, 2016.
- "Watch: DIA Reveals Their Love For "Mr. Potter" In MV Teaser". Soompi. 2016-09-02. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "다이아 측 "유닛 A팀-B팀 신곡 발표 확정, 음악방송 출연" - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔" (in Korean). Newsen.com. 2016-12-27. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "DIA Will Return As 2 Sub-Units For Special Comeback". Soompi. 2016-12-27. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "[단독]다이아, 새 멤버 2명 영입 전격 9인조 개편..보컬 강화". Star News. April 5, 2017.
- "LOVE GENERATION". www.melon.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-08-25.
- "다이아 예빈·솜이, '더 유닛' 출연 확정 "다이아 7人 체제" (공식입장)".
- "다이아 측 "'더 유닛' 예빈·솜이 제외, 7인조로 12일 컴백" (공식)". October 3, 2017.
- ""The Unit" Reveals Final 9 Members For Unit G (Girls) And Unit B (Boys) - Soompi". www.soompi.com.
- ""The Unit" Reveals Final Groups' Names And Leaders - Soompi". www.soompi.com.
- "다이아 은진, 자필편지로 밝힌 탈퇴 "무대 공포감에 힘들어" [전문]". Naver. May 7, 2018.
- "다이아 프로필" (in Korean). Naver.
- "다이아, 22일 'LOVE GENERATION'로 컴백 확정…"확 바뀐 이미지"" (in Korean). X Sports News.
- "5th Gaon Chart K-pop Awards, New Artist of the Year nominees". 5th Gaon Chart K-pop Awards. Kpop Construction. Retrieved January 22, 2016.
- "Seoul Music Awards Global (scroll to K-POP STAR 2015 [LIVE VOTE] and click "Main, Popular (Overseas) and Rookie" to reveal the nominees)". Seoul Music Awards. SportsSeoul. Archived from the original on December 8, 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- "YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "'소리바다' 엑소, 韓최초 5년연속 대상..트와이스는 음원퀸[종합]". osen.mt.co.kr (in Korean). OSEN. September 20, 2017. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to DIA (band).|