Type of site
Donorbox is a US-based technology company. It offers an online fundraising software that allows individuals and nonprofit organizations to receive donations over the Internet. It is used by charities, churches, mosques, schools, animal rescue organizations, political campaigns and other causes. The company’s user base includes Truthout, MAP International, Habitat for Humanity, Code for America, and National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. They have attracted controversy over their provision of service to far-right figures, due to the company’s policy on freedom of speech.
The company was founded in 2014 and it is based in San Francisco, California.
Donorbox was founded in 2014 as and launched as a free WordPress plug-in with PayPal and Stripe. However, there is a $1,000 limit per month with a transaction fee of 1.5% for contributions exceeding the limit. Secured by SSL/TLS, it is PCI compliant. In 2018, the website enabled an Apple Pay mobile payment option for nonprofit organizations.
Donorbox serves customers in over 30 countries and territories.
42 Strategies commended Donorbox with "pre-filled custom amounts with descriptions to let your donors feel great by knowing what they’re contributing to." Double the Donation praised the site with "It’s so simple to use." Lykke's Natalie De Vicenzi exclaimed "Free?? Yes, free!" WPDean received it favorably with "The design is responsive and mobile-ready." WP Villa mentioned Donorbox in their recent blogposts.
Donorbox temporarily banned right-wing activist Tommy Robinson in December 2018, after he created a campaign to raise money for Bailey McLaren, a UK teen who was arrested after a video emerged of him allegedly 'waterboarding' a Syrian refugee in a schoolyard incident. The company ran into controversy by deleting from its Terms of Service a requirement for users not to promote hate speech views. Robinson has since been reinstated onto the platform. Donorbox has since changed their terms and as of August 2019, amended their Terms of Service to add the requirement for users not to engage in, encourage, promote, or celebrate “unlawful violence toward any group based on race, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other immutable characteristic”.
In January 2019, Far-right activist James Goddard was banned by Facebook and PayPal due to violating their terms on hate speech and after his arrest for harassment of MP Anna Sourby.  He was allowed to use Donorbox as a fundraising platform. As well as Robinson and Goddard, current users of the platform include the Jolene Bunting, Raheem Kassam, Matt Forney, and Danny Thomas.
Donorbox's removal of the requirement for those using its services not to promote racism or other hate speech has seen their popularity increase amongst extremist right-wing groups and individuals who have been banned by other fundraising platforms for terms of service violations. Previous right-wing platform users who are currently unable to use Donorbox include English Defence League, Der Dritte Weg, and Colin Robertson (AKA Millennial Woes). Other users who have also been banned by Donorbox for violating the company’s Terms of Services include PopMobPDX, The Brother Nathanael Foundation, and The Realist Report.
- "Truthout Case study - Donorbox Donation Software". Donorbox. Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- International, M. A. P. "MAP 2019 Provide Life Changing Medicines". www.map.org. Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- MENAFN. "Donorbox Exceeds $200M in Donation Processing". menafn.com. Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- "Support the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline". suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- "Tommy Robinson Is Now Reliant On This US Crowdfunding Platform". Buzzfeed.com. 2019-04-06. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- 42 Strategies staff (21 July 2017). "Best Ten Online Donation Gateways For Nonprofits". 42 Strategies. 42Strategies.com. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- WPDean (5 May 2017). "8 Best Non Profit WordPress Donation Plugins". WPDean. WordPress. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- Digital Journal staff (10 January 2018). "Donorbox helps Nonprofits receive donations via Apple Pay". Digital Journal. digitaljournal.com. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- Double the Donation staff. "The 15 Best Online Donation Tools For Nonprofits [Reviewed]". Double the Donation. doublethedonation.com. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- De Vicenzi, Natalie (27 October 2017). "18 Discounts and Free Services for Non-Profits You Probably Didn't Know About". Lykke. Lykke LLC. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "7 Best Donation Plugins for WordPress 2019". WP Villa. 19 February 2019. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- 'Tommy Robinson Has Been Kicked Off A Crowdfunding Site For Raising Money For A Teenager Accused Of Assaulting A Syrian Refugee' in Buzzfeed 1 December 2018
- Cleary, Tom. "Bailey McLaren: Teen Arrested After Syrian Refugee 'Waterboarded' on Video". Heavy.com. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- Asher Mcshane (2018-11-28). "'Syrian refugee' bullied in shocking video: Huge outpouring of support for Huddersfield schoolboy as well-wishers donate over £30,000 | London Evening Standard". Standard.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "Donorbox Donation Platform - Terms and Conditions for Nonprofits". Donorbox. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- Peter Walker Political correspondent. "Pro-Brexit activist said all Muslims should be removed from UK | Politics". The Guardian. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- Lizzie Dearden Home Affairs Correspondent @lizziedearden (2019-01-08). "Facebook and PayPal delete 'yellow vest' organiser James Goddard's accounts after abuse of MPs outside parliament". The Independent. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- 'James Goddard: Yellow vest organiser arrested in London' in The Independent (UK newspaper), 12 January 2019
- "Donorbox". Donorbox. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "#TeamRaheem | Raheem Kassam (Powered by Donorbox)". Donorbox.org. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "Support Me". Mattforney.com. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "Donorbox". Donorbox. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "British 'yellow vest' leader wanted to 'ban Islam from the west'". The National. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- "EDL Donate page | English Defence League (Powered by Donorbox)". donorbox.org. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- "Sleeping Giants's tweet - "CONFIRMED: @Donorbox has banned neo-Nazi group Der Dritte". www.trendsmap.com. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- Captain, Sean (2017-05-09). "Activists Are Pushing Back Against Tech Platforms That Quietly Empower Hate Groups". Fast Company. Retrieved 2019-09-13.