|Original author(s)||Harald Hoyer and others|
|Initial release||July 2009|
043 / 15 June 2015
|Written in||C, Unix shell|
|License||GPL-2+ and LGPL-2+|
dracut is an event-driven initramfs infrastructure. dracut (the tool) is used to create an initramfs image by copying tools and files from an installed system and combining it with the dracut framework, usually found in /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d.
Unlike existing initramfses, dracut's framework attempts to have as little hard-coded into the initramfs as possible. The initramfs has (basically) one purpose in life—mounting the root file system so the boot process can transition to the real rootfs. This is all driven off of device availability. Therefore, instead of having hard-coded scripts to do various things, dracut's initramfs depends on udev to create symbolic links to device nodes and when the rootfs's device node appears, it mounts it and switches root to it. This helps to keep the time required in initramfs down so that things like a 5-second boot are not made impossible as a result of the very existence of an initramfs.
Most of the initramfs generation functionality in dracut is provided by generator modules that are sourced by the main dracut tool to install specific functionality into the initramfs. They live in the modules subdirectory, and use functionality provided by dracut-functions to do their work.
dracut is available for:
- Fedora since version 12
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux since version 6.
- Gentoo in 2010.
- Debian since "squeeze".
- Mandriva since Mandriva 2011.
- Mageia since Mageia 2.
- openSUSE has switched to dracut as the default initramfs creation tool for version 13.2.
- Void Linux
- Hoyer, Harald (15 June 2015). "[ANNOUNCE] dracut 042 and 043". Newsgroup: gmane.linux.kernel.initramfs. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- dracut Wiki, kernel.org, retrieved 2012-10-10
- dracut documentation, kernel.org, retrieved 2012-10-10
- Google+ blog about systemd in dracut, plus.google.com, retrieved 2012-10-10
- Features/Dracut, FedoraProject, retrieved 2012-10-10
- RHEL6 SRPMS FTP, redhat.com, retrieved 2012-10-10
- Dracut - Gentoo Wiki, wiki.gentoo.org, retrieved 2012-10-10
- Package: dracut (005-1), debian.org, retrieved 2012-10-10
- dracut-010-6-mdv2011.0.noarch.rpm, pkgs.org, retrieved 2012-10-10
- Mageia App Db, mageia.madb.org, retrieved 2012-10-10
- openSUSE 13.2 Major features, openSUSE project, retrieved 2014-11-04