|Source model||Open source with commercial support|
|Latest release||ELinOS 7.0 / February 2020|
|Marketing target||Embedded systems|
ELinOS is a commercial development environment for embedded Linux. It consists of a Linux distribution for the target embedded system and development tools for a development host computer. The development host computer usually is a standard desktop computer running Linux or Windows. The Linux system and the application software for the target device are both created on the development host.
ELinOS focuses on industrial applications. For that purpose optional extensions for the Linux kernel are provided. The kernel will always be specifically compiled for the embedded system. Userspace applications are provided as precompiled binaries in order to save time for compilation. Most of the ELinOS software packages are open source and licensed under the GPL.
ELinOS provides embedded Linux as a standalone operating system or it can be integrated into the PikeOS virtualization platform if safety and security demands cannot be met by Linux alone. The latter might be the case if a certification according to a strict industry standard is required.
ELinOS was first published in 1999.
1. Select the hardware of the target embedded system
- Choose one of the provided board support packages (BSP) or configure the hardware on your own
2. Select the features wanted on the target system
- Examples are real-time support, remote debugging support, networking functionality and a choice of networking servers
3. Compile the Linux kernel
- Based on the previous steps an individual kernel configuration will be proposed. It can be modified manually.
4. Generate the target's file system image
- Based on the previous steps contents for an individual file system will be proposed. Files can be added or removed. Dependencies will be checked and can be resolved automatically.
5. Deploy the file system image to the target system.
6. Test and analyze the software on the target system using the tracing tool
- Monitor the system's behavior and optimize the application or the system configuration
- Faults can be debugged using the IDE on the development host
End of Life Überblick
|Product Type||Product Version||Linked CODEO Version||EOL|
|ELinOS||5.0||3.1, 4.0||Since 08/2016|
|ELinOS||5.2||6.0, 6.1, 6.2||Since 12/2018|
|ELinOS||6.0||6.0, 6.1, 6.2||Candidate|