Fällkniven AB, is a Sweden-based manufacturer of knives and knife-related gear and apparel. Fällkniven was founded in Boden 1984 by Peter Hjortberger. The company started by importing knives and, in 1987, began designing their own knives. In 2009 Eric Hjortberger, the founders son, took over as President of Fällkniven AB.
Fell-knee-ven, pressure on first AND second syllables, where "knee" is pronounced with an audible 'k' and "ven" pronounced as in "raven" without the 'ra'. Fällkniven means "the folding knife" in Swedish.
Fällkniven is most well known as a supplier of military and outdoor knives. Throughout the years they have supplied the Swedish military with products. The Fällkniven model F1 is the official survival knife for all pilots in the Swedish Air Force since 1995.
Complementing their lineup of military approved knives, Fällkniven produces several specifically outdoors-, hunting- and kitchen knives. For example, their aptly named "Hunting Knife", the "Fällkniven H1".
While Fällkniven is a Swedish company, most if not all of its production is done by subcontractors. Early F1 knives made of ATS34 steel were manufactured in Germany by Linder-Solingen. Production has been moved to Seki Japan since Fällkniven replaced ATS34 steel with VG-10 and 3G (SPGS-powder steel) core laminates, in its products. Hattori manufactures all of their fixed blades, and Moki manufactures their folders.
F1 Series variants
First military order for 10000 units.
First series for civilian market, 15000 made, all numbered.
F1 3G, 25 year special edition. 1000 units numbered on the back.
A1 Series variants
- Fallkniven A1Z
Classified into a military-grade build, it boasts an ergonomic design, technical touch, and economical fabrication, which represent the top blend available in the market today. It also encompasses the water-repelling ability, which is ideal for extreme cold conditions. From start the knife could be purchased with either a leather sheath or a cordura sheath.
S1 Series variants
Very early all VG10.
From start the knife could be purchased with either a brown open leather dangler sheath (like the current black one) or a cordura sheath similar to the A1.
Previous Fällkniven offerings that have a serial number or are of limited edition. No longer available in stores.
- 200 First handmade Fällkniven F1 prototypes.
- 15000# Fällkniven F1's first civilian production.(5000 of these also have M-number markings for the Swedish Airforce)
- 500# Fällkniven F1's with titanium oxide coating.
- 200# Fällkniven F1's in VG-10 with Micarta handles.
- 6 Fällkniven F1's in VG-10 with GREY teflon made for Fenwick.
- 6 Fällkniven F1's in VG-10 with GREEN teflon made for Fenwick.
- 110 Fällkniven F1's in 3G. Test models.
- 780# Fällkniven H1's first production.
- 400# Fällkniven H1's with stag handles.
- 200# Fällkniven WM1's with Micarta handles.
- 1000# Fällkniven F1 3G Anniversary edition. Marked with crowns on both sides of the blade logo.
(# means individually numbered).
In November 2000, the black versions of models F1 and S1 were tested and approved for use by air crews in the U.S. Marine Corps and U.S. Navy. They successfully met the requirements for function, design, strength and reliability which the Naval Air Warfare Center required.
- "Official Fällkniven website". About the company.
- "Tested & approved!". Fällkniven. Retrieved 2007-12-08. Models F1 and S1 are approved as survival knives for U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine air crews. The model F1 is also the official survival knife for Swedish Air Force pilots.
- "Fallkniven A1 Review". A review
- "Tested & approved!". Fällkniven. Retrieved 2007-12-08.
- http://www.fallkniven.com/ Fallkniven company