First South West
A First South West Dennis Dart, seen operating Coypool Park & Ride in 2006.
|Service type||Bus services|
|Fleet||419 (September 2015)|
First South West was known as 'First Devon & Cornwall' until 2015. This had been formed from two previous FirstGroup companies: Western National in Cornwall and south Devon, and Red Bus in north Devon. FirstGroup purchased independent Cornish operator Truronian in April 2008 and merged it into First Devon & Cornwall. First Somerset & Avon routes around Taunton and Bridgwater were transferred to First Devon & Cornwall in 2014 and rebranded as The Buses of Somerset.
On 6 September 2015, the Plymouth, Dartmouth and Tavistock garages were taken over by Stagecoach South West. Torpoint depot is being used[clarification needed] to store the unused members of the fleet. At the same time, First Devon & Cornwall changed their name to First South West to reflect their new area of operation which is only in Cornwall and south Somerset.
First South West routes cover much of Cornwall. It operates the Park & Ride service in Truro. In March 2015, First Kernow commenced operating some of Western Greyhound following its sudden closure.
As at March 2013 the fleet consisted of 240 buses and coaches.
As at September 2013 the oldest buses in the fleet were seven 1987 Alexander RH bodied Volvo B10M-50s that have been converted to open top buses for services between Penzance, Lands End and St Ives.
- Companies House extract company no 1669417 First South West Limited
- First to buy Truronian busandcoach.com 15 February 2008
- Anticipated acquisition by Firstgroup plc of Truronian Limited Office of Fair Trading 11 April 2008
- First agrees sale of South Devon business to Stagecoach FirstGroup 10 July 2015
- FirstBus agrees to sell Plymouth operations to Stagecoach Plymouth Herald 13 July 2015
- Cornwall Council, http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/public-transport/park-and-ride/
- FirstGroup Fleetlist Steve White
- About us First Devon & Cornwall
- First: Devon, Kernow, Somerset, Truronian UK Buses 1 September 2013
- FDC VR running day, 09/12/06 sulzerpower.com
- Service 300 Cornwall Explorer First South West
Media related to First Devon and Cornwall at Wikimedia Commons