Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna
|Type||museum of 19th and 20th century art|
The Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna e Contemporanea ("national gallery of modern and contemporary art"), also known as La Galleria Nazionale, is an art gallery in Rome, Italy. It was founded in 1883 on the initiative of the then Minister Guido Baccelli and is dedicated to modern and contemporary art.
The present building, the Palazzo delle Belle Arti (Palace of Fine Arts) at Via delle Belle Arti, 113 (near the Etruscan Museum) was designed by prominent Italian architect Cesare Bazzani. It was completed between 1911 and 1915. The facade features exterior architectural friezes by sculptors Ermenegildo Luppi, Adolfo Laurenti, and Giovanni Prini, with four figures of Fame holding bronze wreaths, sculpted by Adolfo Pantaresi and Albino Candoni.
The museum displays about 1100 paintings and sculptures of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, of which it has the largest collection in Italy. Among the Italian artists represented are Giacomo Balla, Umberto Boccioni, Alberto Burri, Antonio Canova, Giorgio de Chirico, Lucio Fontana, Amedeo Modigliani, Giacomo Manzù, Vittorio Matteo Corcos, and Giorgio Morandi.:169
It is sometimes referred to as "the teeth" by reason of its columnated appearance.
- Luisa Cardilli Alloisi, Francesco Margotti, Antonio Simbolotti (1991). La Capitale a Roma: 1870-1945 (in Italian).
- Cinzia Dal Maso (7 September 2015). Lo scultore romano Adolfo Pantaresi (in Italian). Specchio Romano. Accessed August 2017.
- Erweiterung der Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna, Rom, 1999–2000 (in German). Diener & Diener. Accessed August 2017.
- (it) Encyclopedia Treccani, Il quadro del C. intitolato Sogni (Roma, Galleria nazionale d'arte moderna)
- Darwin Porter, Danforth Prince (2007). Frommer's Italy 2008. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley. ISBN 9780470138205.
- Gli artisti e le opere (in Italian). Galleria nazionale d'arte moderna e contemporanea. Accessed January 2016.
- Soprintendenza alla Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea (in Italian). Ministero dei beni e delle attività culturali e del turismo: Direzione generale Belle Arti e Paesaggio. Accessed August 2017.
Media related to Galleria nazionale d'arte moderna (Rome) at Wikimedia Commons