Thatched cottages in Godshill
|Area||19.7930 km2 (7.6421 sq mi) |
|Population||1,459 (2011 census including Hale Common , Roud and Sandford)|
|• Density||74/km2 (190/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Isle of Wight|
|Ambulance||Isle of Wight|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Godshill is a village and civil parish on the Isle of Wight with a population of 1,465 according to the 2001 census, reducing slightly to 1,459 at the 2011 Census. It is located between Newport and Ventnor in the southeast of the Island.
Godshill Park House dates from about 1760 and was built as a home farm to serve the Appuldurcombe Estate. In around 1860 the house was extended, adding the Regency front and became a private residence. It was used in the Second World War as an army hospital.
Godshill has pubs called the "Griffin"- featuring a large griffin-shaped maze and children's playground, and "The Taverners".
Godshill model village
Since 1952 Godshill has been the home of a model village of itself and Shanklin's old village at a scale of 1:10. It is so detailed and on such a large scale that it contains a scale model of the model village. Within that second model there is a third, even smaller model of the village.
All Saints' Church
- Office of National Statistics: QS102EW - Population density retrieved 30 May 2017
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "English Parishes and Welsh communities N&C 2004". www.statistics.gov.uk. 2004. Archived from the original on 2007-01-09. Retrieved 2007-05-03.
- "2001 Census Neighbourhood Statistics - Civil Parishes on the Isle of Wight". www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- "Pictures of England - Location map of Godshill". www.picturesofengland.com. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Isle of Wight Festival History - 1968". www.isleofwightfestvial.com. Archived from the original on 2008-07-02. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Isle of Wight Tourist Guide - The Griffin in Godshill". www.isleofwighttouristguide.com. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Southern Vectis - bus route 2". www.islandbuses.info. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-04-01. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "Southern Vectis - bus route 3". www.islandbuses.info. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-04-28. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "Godshill and Wroxall ward population 2011". Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- "Isle of Wight Attractions - The Model Village, Godshill". www.iowight.com. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Godshill.|
|This Isle of Wight location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|