Hampden Township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
Johannes Eberly House
Where People Come First
Map of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania highlighting Hampden Township
|Incorporated||Jan 23, 1845|
|• Type||Board of Commissioners|
|• President||Al Bienstock|
|• Vice President||John Thomas|
|• Secretary||Nathan Silcox|
|• Total||17.77 sq mi (46.01 km2)|
|• Land||17.25 sq mi (44.66 km2)|
|• Water||0.52 sq mi (1.35 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,715.57/sq mi (662.39/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Hampden Township is located in northeastern Cumberland County, drained by Conodoguinet Creek, which makes several large bends across the middle of the township on its way east towards the Susquehanna River. Blue Mountain separates the township in the north from Perry County. Its villages include Brennemans Mill, Good Hope, Mount Zion, and Sporting Hill.
Interstate 81 crosses the northern part of the township, with access from Exit 61 (Pennsylvania Route 944) at Mount Zion. Pennsylvania Route 581, the southwestern segment of Harrisburg's Capital Beltway, interchanges with I-81 in the west and runs south then east across the township, with access from Exit 2 (Creekview Road), Exit 3 (Carlisle Pike/U.S. Route 11), and Exit 4 (Pennsylvania Route 641).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 17.9 square miles (46.3 km2), of which 17.3 square miles (44.9 km2) is land and 0.54 square miles (1.4 km2), or 2.93%, is water.
- East Pennsboro Township (east)
- Camp Hill (southeast)
- Lower Allen Township (south)
- Shiremanstown (south)
- Mechanicsburg (southwest)
- Silver Spring Township (west)
- Rye Township, Perry County (north)
The township has a hot-summer humid continental climate (Dfa) and the hardiness zones are 7a and 6b. Annual monthly average temperatures in Sporting Hill range from 29.9 °F in January to 74.8 °F in July.  The annual absolute minimum temperature in Sporting Hill is 0.3 °F. 
At the 2010 census there were 28,044 people, 11,470 households, and 7,993 families living in the township. The population density was 1,558 people per square mile (524.4/km2). There were 12,261 housing units at an average density of 681.1/sq mi (217.1/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 88.9% White, 1.7% African American, 0.1% Native American, 7.1% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 0.6% from other races, and 0.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.0%.
There were 11,470 households, 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.7% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.3% were non-families. 25.4% of households were made up of individuals, and 9.5% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.94.
The age distribution was 23.2% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 25.2% from 25 to 44, 31.2% from 45 to 64, and 15.1% 65 or older. The median age was 42.6 years. For every 100 females, there were 93.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.4 males.
The median household income was $85,284 and the median family income was $105,121. Males had a median income of $62,566 versus $51,473 for females. The per capita income for the township was $42,955. About 1.2% of families and 3.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.6% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
Hampden Township became a first class township on Jan 1, 1960.
Hampden Township is served by the Cumberland Valley School District.
- Silver Spring Elementary
- Middlesex Elementary
- Hampden Elementary
- Monroe Elementary
- Green Ridge Elementary
- Shaull Elementary
- Sporting Hill Elementary
- Winding Creek Elementary
- Eagle View Middle School
- Mountain View Middle School
- Cumberland Valley High School
Parks and recreation
Hampden township maintains over 100 acres (0.40 km2) of parkland and recreation facilities.
- Hampden Pool and Park
- Creekview Recreation Area
- Salem Community Park
- Conodoguinet Youth Park
The township also manages Armitage Golf Club, a 70-par course located along Orrs Bridge Road.
- Indian Creek Park
- Pinebrook Neighborhood Park
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Hampden township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Contact Us." Pennsylvania Department of Corrections. Retrieved on October 5, 2012. "Central Office: 1920 Technology Parkway, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050"
- "Street Map." (Archive) Hampden Township. Retrieved on October 5, 2012.