Han Ga-in at the press conference for Architecture 101, 2012
2 February 1982
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||Kyung Hee University - Tourism Management|
|Agent||J. One Plus Entertainment (2009-2011)
BH Entertainment (2012-present)
|Spouse(s)||Yeon Jung-hoon (m. 2005)|
|Revised Romanization||Han Ga-in|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hyeon-ju|
Han Ga-in (born Kim Hyun-joo on February 2, 1982) is a South Korean actress. She starred in television series Yellow Handkerchief and Terms of Endearment early in her career, and became a sought-after model in commercials. Her projects in 2012 were hugely successful, with her period drama Moon Embracing the Sun topping the TV ratings chart, and her film Architecture 101 becoming a box office hit.
As a high school student, Han Ga-in appeared on a TV quiz show and was also captured in footage of interviews with other students. Entertainment bigwigs spotted her in the news clip and immediately went to her school to offer her a part. She debuted in an Asiana Airlines commercial in 2002, and was cast in the KBS2 drama Sunshine Hunting. KBS Drama Awards named her best new actress in 2003 for Yellow Handkerchief, and best actress for Terms of Endearment in 2004.
She soon became one of the most sought-after faces in the TV commercial industry. But despite her early success, Han struggled to overcome her image as strictly a pretty face rather than a serious actress. Over the past decade of drama appearances, the popular actress repeatedly played familiar characters and her performances failed to wow audiences.
After Witch Yoo Hee wrapped in 2007, Han publicly criticized the director and writers for the drama's poor quality. She went on a three-year hiatus afterwards, merely starring in advertisements.
Categorized as a "CF star," Han wanted to change that misconception with her comeback in 2010. In Bad Guy, she attempted to transform her image as a pure and innocent girl to a materialistic woman who dreams of climbing the social ladder.
2012 was the most successful year of Han's career yet. Period drama Moon Embracing the Sun, in which she played the heroine, an amnesiac noblewoman-turned-shaman, ended with an audience share of 40 percent when the final episode aired. Then her film Architecture 101 got rave reviews and set a new box-office record as the highest-grossing Korean melodrama. She considers her character in the latter as the closest to her real-life personality.
She married actor Yeon Jung-hoon on April 26, 2005; they previously starred together on the 2003 TV series Yellow Handkerchief. After nine years of marriage, Han became pregnant with the couple's first child in 2014, but she suffered a miscarriage nine weeks into her pregnancy. In November 2015, her agency reported Han was 5 months pregnant.
|2003||Yellow Handkerchief||Jo Sun-joo||KBS1|
|2004||Terms of Endearment||Kang Eun-pah||KBS2|
|2005||Super Rookie||Lee Mi-ok||MBC|
|2006||Dr. Kkang||Kim Yoo-na||MBC|
|2007||Witch Yoo Hee||Ma Yoo-hee||SBS|
|2010||Bad Guy||Moon Jae-in||SBS|
|2012||Moon Embracing the Sun||Heo Yeon-woo/Wol||MBC|
|2004||Once Upon a Time in High School||Eun-joo|
|2012||Architecture 101||Yang Seo-yeon (present)|
|2005||"Only Wind, Only Wind"||SG Wannabe|
|2012||"Yeosu Night Sea"||Busker Busker|
|2012||Running Man||SBS||Guest, episode 87|
Awards and nominations
|2003||KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actress||Yellow Handkerchief||Won|
|2004||40th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actress (Film)||Once Upon a Time in High School||Won|
|25th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actress||Nominated|
|3rd Korean Film Awards||Best New Actress||Nominated|
|KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress||Terms of Endearment||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Song Il-gook||Won|
|2005||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress||Super Rookie||Won|
|2012||7th Seoul International Drama Awards||Outstanding Korean Actress||Moon Embracing the Sun||Nominated|
|1st K-Drama Star Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Nominated|
|MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Won|
- "한가인". Nate (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "History Attests to Korean Stars' All-Natural Looks". The Chosun Ilbo. 6 June 2006. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Han Ga-in struggles to overcome innocent image". Korea Joongang Daily. 4 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Winners at the 2004 KBS DRAMA AWARDS". Korea Tourism Organization. 6 January 2005. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Top Actresses Heading Toward Small Screen". The Korea Times. 8 February 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Press conference for drama Bad Guy". 10Asia. 31 March 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "The six actors of TV series Bad Guy". 10Asia. 31 March 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Kim Jae-wook says Kim Nam-gil "like a time bomb" - Part 1". 10Asia. 20 May 2010. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Kim Jae-wook says Kim Nam-gil "like a time bomb" - Part 2". 10Asia. 20 May 2010. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Will Kim, Han create magic thru Bad Boy". The Korea Times. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "INTERVIEW: Bad Boy actresses Han Ga-in and Oh Yun-soo". 10Asia. 16 June 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Han Ga-in's Song Picks". 10Asia. 6 September 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Hit drama ends with record ratings". Korea Joongang Daily. 17 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Han Ga-in and other Introduction to Architecture stars talk about their first loves". Korea Joongang Daily. 15 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Interview: Han Ga In Likes Kissing Uhm Tae Woong More than Kim Soo Hyun". enewsWorld. 27 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Han Ga-in Still Wrestling with Innocent Image". The Chosun Ilbo. 31 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Han Ga-in signs with Kim Ha-neul's agency". 10Asia. 29 October 2009. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Official Han Ga-in website open today". 10Asia. 27 May 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Han Ga-in renews contract with J.One+ Entertainment". 10Asia. 15 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Han Ga-in Joins Lee Byung-hun's Agency". 10Asia. 23 December 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-27.
- "Yeon Jung-hoon and Han Ka-in Register Their Marriage". KBS Global. 26 April 2005. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Han Ga-in says she wants a son like Yeon Jung-hoon". Korea JoongAng Daily. 15 November 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Actress Han Ga-in pregnant with first child". The Korea Herald. 22 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "1st baby for celebrity couple". Korea JoongAng Daily. 23 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-23.
- "Actor Couple Have Baby on Way After Nearly a Decade". The Chosun Ilbo. 23 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-23.
- "Han Ga-in miscarried: agency". Korea JoongAng Daily. 25 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- "Han Ga-in to appear on Running Man". Korea Joongang Daily. 21 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "40th Baeksang Arts Awards". Baeksang Arts Awards (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "25th Blue Dragon Film Awards". Blue Dragon Film Awards (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-11-13.