October 16, 1982 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Other names||Kim Ah-jung|
|Revised Romanization||Gim A-jung|
Kim Ah-joong first rose to fame for her role in the romance film When Romance Meets Destiny (2005). Thereafter, she appeared in several commercials and landed first leading role in daily soap opera Bizarre Bunch. However, it was her role in the highly successful comedy film 200 Pounds Beauty that pushed her to stardom. For her role as an overweight girl who undergoes cosmetic surgery makeover to become a pop sensation, she was awarded Best Actress at the 2007 Grand Bell Awards. She released soundtracks of the film, "Beautiful Girl" and the Korean version of the song "Maria". "Beautiful Girl" won Digital Music Awards' "Song of the Month" by Cyworld.
Kim returned to acting three years later following 200 Pounds Beauty, starring alongside Hwang Jung-min in romantic comedy The Accidental Couple. In 2010, Kim was cast in a U.S.-Chinese film project Amazing, a sci-fi film about the development of a virtual-reality basketball game. The same year, she was cast in medical drama Sign by Kim Eun-hee, playing a forensic scientist.
In September 2011, Kim was found guilty of tax evasion. She also had to pay an additional $600,000 fine. She and her management at the time parted ways due to the verdict. Due to this scandal she was banned from TV work in South Korea from late 2011 to late 2014, and she focused on films. In December 2012, Kim co-starred with Ji Sung in the romantic comedy film My PS Partner. This was followed by another romantic comedy film Steal My Heart in 2013.
She returned to TV in legal drama Punch, where she received positive reviews for her portrayal of a prosecutor. In 2016, Kim starred in the crime thriller Wanted. In 2017, she starred in time-slip romantic comedy Live Up to Your Name alongside Kim Nam-gil.
- 2009: Goodwill Ambassador of FranceExpress
- 2009: 46th Savings Day: Prime Minister Commendation
- 2015: Ambassador for 17th Seoul International Women's Film Festival
|2005||When Romance Meets Destiny||Lee Kyung-jae|
|2006||200 Pounds Beauty||Kang Han-na / Jenny|
|2010||Foxy Festival||Soo-jung, cameo|
|2012||My PS Partner||Yoon-jung|
|2013||Catch Me||Yoon Jin-sook/Lee Sook-ja|
|2004||Emperor of the Sea||Ha Jin||KBS2|
|2005||Our Attitude to Prepare Parting||Seo Hee-won||MBC|
|Bizarre Bunch||Kim Jong-nam||KBS1|
|2009||The Accidental Couple||Han Ji-soo||KBS2|
|2017||Live Up to Your Name, Dr. Heo||Choi Yeon-kyung||tvN|
- Shin Hye-sung - Same thought
- Youme - 여자라서 하지 못한 말
- "Kim A-joong Receives Master's Degree from Korea University". The Chosun Ilbo. 6 January 2011.
- "Kim A-joong Brings Living Beauty to Barbie Exhibition". The Chosun Ilbo. 9 December 2005.
- "Propelled to the Top by 200 Pounds". The Chosun Ilbo. 13 January 2007.
- "Kim and Hwang Team up as Accidental Couple". The Korea Times. 28 April 2009.
- "Kim A-joong to Star in U.S.-Chinese Film". The Chosun Ilbo. 20 August 2010.
- "Park Shin-yang, Kim Ah-joong starrer drama title set as "Sign"". 10Asia. 8 November 2010.
- "[Exclusive] Kim Ah-joong tax evasion, NTS imposes 6 hundred million". Hancinema. 5 September 2011.
- Ho, Stewart (17 October 2012). "Ji Sung and Kim Ah Joong's Release Movie Poster for Phone Sex Comedy". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Lee, Nancy (9 November 2012). "Ji Sung and Kim Ah Joong Dial Up for My PS Partner". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Kim A-joong Steals Audiences' Hearts in New Romantic Comedy". The Chosun Ilbo. 18 January 2014.
- "Kim A-joong Returns to TV in Legal Drama". The Chosun Ilbo. 13 November 2014.
- "Kim A-joong Rediscovers the Fun of Acting". The Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "김아중·엄태웅·지현우, '원티드' 출연확정…6월22일 첫방 [공식입장]". Sports Donga (in Korean). May 16, 2016.
- "Kim Nam-gil, Kim Ah-joong slip through time in tvN drama". Kpop Herald. 3 September 2017.
- "Kim A-joong Will Promote French Cultural Festival". The Korea Times. 9 September 2009.
- "[PHOTO] Kim Ah-joong at Savings Day ceremony". 10Asia. 27 October 2009.
- "Women's film festival kicks off". The Korea Times. 26 May 2015.
- "Star-studded films shift industry : As top actors take up minor roles, rookies see opportunities fade". Korea JoongAng Daily. 28 February 2017.
- "Korean Actor(Actress) Kim Ah-Jung, Biography and Photos". Tour 2 Korea. Archived from the original on 2 November 2007.
- "Family Ties Wins Top Prize at Home". Korean Film Biz Zone. 13 June 2007.
- "The Show Must Go On takes best film award at Korea's Blue Dragons". Screen Daily. 26 November 2007.
- "Stars Shine at Andre Kims Atelier". The Korea Times. 29 November 2009.
- "Lee Byung-hun scores triple wins at KBS Acting Awards". 10Asia. 4 January 2010.