|First appearance||Dark Reign: The Sinister Spider-Man #1 (August 2009)|
|Created by||Brian Reed
|Place of origin||Earth|
|Notable aliases||Mrs. Fluffy Lumpkins|
Fictional character biography
Hippo is an ordinary zoo hippopotamus named "Mrs. Fluffy Lumpkins" (this was the name given to the hippopotamus despite the fact that it was a male) who was turned into a humanoid version of himself by the High Evolutionary. While on a crime spree upon being unable to find work in this form, he had his left leg eaten by Venom (who was masquerading as Spider-Man during the time when he was a member of the Dark Avengers). After that experience, he joined up with the Redeemers alongside Dementoid, Doctor Everything, Eleven, and General Wolfram in a plan to redeem "Spider-Man". During the meeting of the Redeemers' allies, Hippo mentions his background as those who had their limbs eaten off by Venom are outfitted with cybernetic parts. When it came time for the Redeemers' gang to attack "Spider-Man", Hippo is rammed into General Wolfram when "Spider-Man" delivers a strong headbutt that did this.
Hippo is later seen fighting New Avengers members Spider-Man and Ronin. During this appearance, Hippo is shown to have his original left leg as if it was somehow restored. Both of them have a hard time taking down Hippo, who is ultimately defeated when Luke Cage falls on him.
Hippo next visits an underground casino in New York City that catered to the supervillain clientele where Hippo does badly at the tables. When Daredevil and Domino crash the casino, Tiger Shark asked Hippo for help. Hippo declined since he had enough losses for the night.
Hippo begins attending Super Villains Anonymous meetings that was held at a church and also attended by Boomerang, Doctor Bong, Grizzly, Looter, Mirage, Porcupine II, and others. Hippo listened to Mirage's tale of woes and even gave Mirage a hug. He even offers a hug to the disgusted Boomerang. Hippo attended another Supervillains Anonymous meeting. He listened to Grizzly and Looter where they tell about their run-ins with Spider-Man.
Hippo later appears as a member of the Menagerie which also consists of Skein, White Rabbit, and a new villain called Panda-Mania. They were on a rampage stealing expensive eggs from an auction until Spider-Man arrives. Hippo throws cars at Spider-Man while claiming that the eggs would "secure his future." He and the Menagerie are defeated by Spider-Man despite the fact that Skein used her powers to destroy Spider-Man's outfit. Hippo and the rest of the Menagerie later reunite to commit a diamond heist, but they are once again defeated by Spider-Man.
Later, Hippo appeared by himself attempting to rob a bank that was being guarded by Squirrel Girl. After a brief fight with Squirrel Girl, Chipmunk Hunk, and Koi Boi, he was convinced by Squirrel Girl to look into a job in demolition at which point he agrees and leaves without issue.
Powers and abilities
Hippo possesses superhuman strength and has a hard hide that is durable. He is also shown to be very adept in the water.
- Dark Reign: The Sinister Spider-Man #2
- Dark Reign: The Sinister Spider-Man #1
- Dark Reign: The Sinister Spider-Man #3
- New Avengers: Luke Cage #1
- The Amazing Spider-Man #642
- Seth Peck (w), Paul Azaceta (p), Paul Azaceta (i). "The Boneyard: Part 1" X-Men v3, #38 (7 November 2012), United States: Marvel Comics
- Nick Spencer (w), Steve Lieber (p), Rachelle Rosenberg (i). The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #3 (4 September 2013), United States: Marvel Comics
- Nick Spencer (w), Steve Lieber (p), Steve Lieber (i). The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #11 (9 April 2014), United States: Marvel Comics
- The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 #1
- Sean Ryan (w), Brandon Peterson (p), Brandon Peterson (i). "I Can't Help Myself" The Amazing Spider-Man Annual v3, #1 (10 December 2014), United States: Marvel Comics
- Ryan North (w), Erica Henderson (p), Erica Henderson (i), Rico Renzi (col), VC's Clayton Cowles (let), Wil Moss (ed). The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #6 (3 June 2015), United States: Marvel Comics
- Underworld #1