H2 (A&E Networks)
H2 is a channel owned by A&E Networks (a joint venture between the Hearst Communications, and the Walt Disney Television division of The Walt Disney Company), used for a sister television channel of History. The brand was debuted in September 2011 when History International in the United States was relaunched as H2. The brand was expanded outside the U.S. since then. H2 in the United States was relaunched on February 29, 2016 as Viceland, but the H2 brand is still used for sister channels to History in other markets.
A&E Networks began rebranding the remaining versions of H2 as History2, starting with Latin American version on January 1, 2019.
On November 6, 2018, concerning Disney's proposed acquisition of 21st Century Fox, the European Commission required Disney to sell A&E's television operations in Europe, which include the versions of H2 in the area.
- The H2 brand was introduced in the United States, when History International was rebranded as so on September 26, 2011, with its programming being refocused to feature documentary content from sister network History prior to that network's shift towards more reality programming. The American channel was later rebranded as Viceland on February 29, 2016.
- Canada: On August 27, 2012, Shaw Media, relaunched the male-focused Category A digital channel The Cave as a domestic Canadian version of H2.
- Croatia: The Croatian version of H2 was launched on February 1, 2018 on Hrvatski Telekom's MaxTV.
- Latin America and Brazil: In 2014, a Latin American version of H2 was launched under the ownership of A+E Networks Latin America (a joint venture between A+E Networks and Ole Communications) and distributed by HBO Latin America Group. On 1 January 2019, H2 was rebranded as History2.
- Middle East and North Africa: The regional version of H2 is available on OSN since 1 February 2016.
- Poland: The Polish version of H2 was launched on October 28, 2014. On 6 February 2019, The channel was rebranded as History2.
- Serbia: On April 12, 2015, the Serbian version of H2 was launched to Orion TV customers. It made available to MTS TV customers in May that year.
- Southeast Asia: On June 14, 2013, A+E Networks launched a regional version of H2 in Southeast Asia.
- United Kingdom and Ireland: On May 4, 2013, the local version of Military History was rebranded as H2. It launched on TalkTalk on 28 August 2014 and a few months later on BT TV. On 6 February 2019, this version was rebranded as History2. An HD version of the channel also started on BT TV about the same time.
- "It's Official: Vice Channel to Take Over A+E Networks' History Spinoff H2". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- Roxborough, Scott (November 6, 2018). "Disney's Fox Deal Gets European Union Clearance Subject to Divestments". The Hollywood Reporter.
- EXCLUSIVE: New Network Name Becomes History - Additional programming planned as H2 replaces HI Broadcasting & Cable, September 2, 2011
- Shaw Media and A&E to Launch Two New Specialty Channels Archived 2012-12-10 at the Wayback Machine, Broadcaster Magazine, May 30, 2012.
- A&E Ole Networks realiza su Upfront 2013[permanent dead link], TodoTVNews, September 25, 2012.
- Horbuz, Anabelia (October 4, 2018). "A+E Networks Latin America unveils new programming strategy". NexTV News. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- "A+E Networks' venture brings Lifetime and H2 to Southeast Asia". Campaign Asia. May 20, 2013. Archived from the original on March 23, 2016. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- "H2 launching Saturday, May 4th". imediamonkey. April 19, 2013. Archived from the original on May 11, 2013.