I'm Happy Just to Dance with You
|"I'm Happy Just to Dance with You"|
|Single by The Beatles|
|from the album A Hard Day's Night|
|A-side||"I'll Cry Instead"|
|Released||20 August 1964 (Single)
10 June 1964 (mono album)
10 July 1964 (stereo album)
|Recorded||Abbey Road Studios
1 March 1964
|Genre||Rock and roll|
|The Beatles singles chronology|
"I'm Happy Just to Dance with You" is a song written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney and recorded by the Beatles for the film soundtrack to A Hard Day's Night. Lead vocals are by George Harrison, whose performance in the film marked the first commercial music video segment with Harrison singing lead.
It was written specifically for George Harrison to sing at a time when he lacked the confidence to compose his own material. Years later, McCartney described it as a "formula song", and Lennon said, "I would never have sung it myself."
Structurally, it features hectic Bo Diddley rhythm and busy banjo style guitar playing in juxtaposition with Harrison's vocal. Its composers give it an unpredictable choice of chord (augmenting the B7th on "I'm happy just to dance with you") right at the crux of its title, jarring the chorus. The song is also unique in that it begins not with a verse or chorus but with the last four bars of the bridge.
- George Harrison – lead vocal, lead guitar
- John Lennon – backing vocal, rhythm guitar
- Paul McCartney – backing vocal, bass
- Ringo Starr – drums, African drum
- George Martin – producer
- Norman Smith – engineer
Anne Murray version
Anne Murray included a cover of "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You" on her 1980 album Somebody's Waiting. Murray had had some success in previous years covering other Beatles songs such as "You Won't See Me" and "Day Tripper." Unlike the Beatles' original, Murray's version of "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You" is an adult-contemporary ballad.
Murray's version of the song was released as a single in mid-1980, reaching No. 64 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 23 on the Billboard country chart.
- The Beatles - Complete Scores. Milwaukee: Hal Leonard. 1993. ISBN 0-7935-1832-6.
- Harry, Bill (2000). The Beatles Encyclopedia: Revised and Updated. London: Virgin Publishing. ISBN 0-7535-0481-2.
- "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You". The Beatles Bible. 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties (Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-84413-828-3.
- Miles, Barry (1997). Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now. New York: Henry Holt & Company. ISBN 0-8050-5249-6.
- Alan W. Pollack's Notes on "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You"
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics