Jeff Ho Surfboards and Zephyr Productions
|Jeff Ho Surfboards and Zephyr Productions|
|Architect||J. L. Schrurs|
|Designated||14 May 2007|
Jeff Ho Surfboards and Zephyr Productions was a surfboard manufacturing facility and surf shop located in Santa Monica, California, that opened in 1973 and closed in 1976. The building was designated as a City Landmark in 2007.
In 1971, Jeff Ho opened Jeff Ho Surfboards and Zephyr Productions, a surf shop in Santa Monica, California and also used the south wing of the facility for manufacturing their surfboards. The building is located at 2001–2011 Main Street.
The surf shop closed in 1976, and was reopened in 1977 by Nathan Pratt as Horizons West Surf Shop. That shop closed in August 2010. The space reopened as a coffee shop called Dogtown Coffee in August 2012.
Jeff Ho formed the Zephyr Surf Team, made up of local surfers who frequented Pacific Ocean Park in the run-down area of Dogtown. Jeff later formed the Zephyr Skate Team, which became widely known as Z-Boys and popularized the sport.
The Z-boys were based in Zephyr Productions, and it was a regular hang-out for the members. Several members were also employed part-time at the surf shop.
Several members of the team included Stacy Peralta, Tony Alva, and Jay Adams. The team was the subject of a 2001 documentary film, Dogtown and Z-Boys, and a 2005 biographical film, Lords of Dogtown; both feature the Zephyr Productions Surf Shop.
City Landmark Designation
In 2007, the building housing Horizons West Surf Shop (formerly Jeff Ho Surfboards and Zephyr Productions) was designated to be demolished to construct condominiums. Local skaters and surfers, led by Jacob Samuel began fighting to protect the building. On April 9, 2007, an application was filed to designate the building as a City Landmark. On May 14, 2007, the Planning and Community Development Department of Santa Monica ruled that the building met the minimum of four eligible criteria and officially designated it as a City Landmark.
- "City of Santa Monica Designated Landmarks" (PDF). City of Santa Monica. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2009-05-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Dogtown Coffee Opens in Santa Monica". Grub Street. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Groves, Martha (2007-02-12). "Shop's past has wheels – Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- "Jeff Ho Surfboards/Zephyr Productions Building". Stupid.org. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- "Zephyr Rally Cry – Action Sports – ESPN". Espn.go.com. 2008-05-16. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- "Memorandum" (PDF). May 14, 2007. Retrieved 2011-10-22.