John of Greenford
|John of Greenford|
|Bishop of Chichester|
|See||Diocese of Chichester|
|Term ended||26 April 1180|
|Predecessor||Hilary of Chichester|
|Other posts||Dean of Chichester|
|Consecration||6 Ocrober 1174|
|Died||26 April 1180|
John of Greenford was a medieval Bishop of Chichester.
Some historians say John's ancestry is unknown, but others give it as the son of a canon, or priest. Although Greenford is a location in Middlesex, no contemporary record gives him the name, and it not known when the surname was first attached to John. He was a prebend of London, and Dean of Chichester, holding the office of dean for over 20 years. He was elected to the see of Chichester in late April 1173, and consecrated on 6 October 1174. As he was a son of a priest, he obtained a papal dispensation in the summer of 1174. He died 26 April 1180. Besides his profession of obedience to the archbishop of Canterbury, another 13 documents of John's survive.
- Warren Henry II p. 535
- Mayr-Harting "Introduction" Acta pp. 5-6
- Greenway Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 5: Chichester: Deans
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 239
- Greenway Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 5: Chichester: Bishops
- Mayr-Harting "Introduction" Acta p. 32
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Greenway, Diana E. (1996). Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 5: Chichester: Bishops. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 20 October 2007.
- Greenway, Diana E. (1996). Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 5: Chichester: Deans. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 20 October 2007.
- Mayr-Harting, Henry (1964). "Introduction". The Acta of the Bishops of Chichester 1075–1207. Torquay, UK: Canterbury & York Society. pp. 3–70. OCLC 3812576.
- Warren, W. L. (1973). Henry II. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. ISBN 0-520-03494-5.
|Catholic Church titles|
Hilary of Chichester
|Bishop of Chichester
|This article about a United Kingdom bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|