K2 (TV channel)
July 2009 (channel)
|Owned by||Switchover Media (2009-2013)
Discovery Networks Europe (2013-present)
|Picture format||16:9 SDTV|
|Audience share||0.65% (May 2014, )|
|Hot Bird 8||12322 / 27500 / 3/4 H|
|AtlanticBird 1||12515 / 17455 / 3/4 H|
|Sky Italia||Channel 626|
|TV di FASTWEB||Channel 66|
K2 started out as a syndicated block for several local stations. In 2009, K2 became a TV channel. Jetix Italy management bought Jetix Italy, renamed as Switchover Media, agreed to purchase the channel and GXT from Jetix Europe in July 2009. K2 was acquired in the January 2013 purchase of Switchover by Discovery Communications.
The channel was programmed for different age groups throughout the day. Kids 5 to 10 programming was on In the early mornings and early afternoons with action and comedy series mix including Pokémon, The Fairly OddParents, Mr. Bean and Sabrina. The preschool age group is the focus in the mid-morning with shows like Babar. Families is focus during primetime hours with programming like The Cosby Show with animated series such as Total Drama Action and game shows Wipeout and American Gladiators.
- Official website (in Italian)
- "Sintesi Mensile 1A" (PDF). Auditel. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "TV Channel: K2 (Italy)". MAVISE. European Audiovisual Observatory. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Jetix Italy bosses buy GXT and K2 channels". digitaltveurope.net. July 16, 2009. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- Moody, Annemarie (July 15, 2009). "Jetix Italy Announces Management Buyout". AWN News. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Discovery buys Italian broadcaster Switchover". January 15, 2013. January 15, 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- Calder, Kate (October 22, 2010). "New Italian kids channels bank on digital switchover". Kidscreen. Retrieved March 12, 2014.