The Fort of Ayvelles
|Intercommunality||Charleville-Mézières / Sedan|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Philippe Lebreton|
|5.45 km2 (2.10 sq mi)|
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||143–210 m (469–689 ft) |
(avg. 155 m or 509 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known both as Ayvelliens or Ayvelliennes as well as Ayvellois or Ayvelloises.
Les Ayvelles is located just 5 km south-east of Charleville-Mézières. Access to the commune is by road D764 from Villers-Semeuse in the north which passes through the centre of the commune and the village and continues to Flize in the south. The commune has large reservoirs in the east and a forest in the west (the Bois des Ayvelles) with the rest of the commune farmland.
Argent, a saltire Gules cantoned with, in chief and in base a lion Sable tongued and armed Gules, to dexter and sinister a mullet Sable pierced.
List of Successive Mayors
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 927 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger communes that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Culture and heritage
- The Fort and Battery of Ayvelles. The Fort can be visited by appointment.
The Parish Church of Saint Rémi contains several items that are registered as historical objects:
- The Tombstone of Priest Ponce Guérin (1690)
- A Baptismal font (12th century)
- A Chalice with Paten (1750 and 1752)
- Les Ayvelles on the old IGN website (in French)
- Les Ayvelles on Lion1906
- Les Ayvelles on Google Maps
- Les Ayvelles on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- les G-des-Ayvelles on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Les Ayvelles on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 Archived 6 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Inhabitants of Ardennes (in French)
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM08000042 Tombstone of Priest Ponce Guérin (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM08000041 Baptismal font (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM08000675 Chalice with Paten (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Les Ayvelles.|