List of Iyengars
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of Iyengars is a list that includes people who are verifiably Iyengars. Iyengars are a caste with origins in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
- Nathamuni - Considered the first of Sri Vaishnava teachers, he compiled and collected the Nalayira Divya Prabandham
- Yamunacharya - Teacher of Sri Ramanajacharya, Vedic exponent and Sri Vaishnava leader.
- Ramanuja - Considered to be the most important teachers of Sri Vaishnavism, author and theologian and philosopher.
- Vedanta Desikan - Poet, devotee, philosopher, highly regarded teacher of Sri Vaishnavism.
- Manavala Mamuni - Sri Vaishnava religious leader, who during the 15th century in Tamil Nadu, with the help of his eight disciples helped spread Sri Vaishnavism
- Pillai Lokacharya - prominent Sri Vaishnava leader and philosopher who authored several works important to Vishishtadvaita philosophy
Diplomats, Bureaucrats, Administrators and Politicians
- T. S. S. Rajan - Indian politician and freedom-fighter. Member of the Imperial Legislative Council (1934–1936), Minister of Public Health and Religious Endowments (Madras Presidency) (1937–1939), Minister of Food and Public Health (Madras Presidency) (1946–1951)
- C. Vijayaraghavachariar - Indian Politician, Congress Leader, nicknamed "The Lion of South India".
- C Rajagopalachari - Bharat Ratna, Freedom fighter, national leader, the first Indian Governor General of Independent India and also the Chief Minister of State of Madras.
- Shamaiya Iyengar - The minister of the police and the post office (also served as the head of the intelligence department) during the time of Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan.
- A. A. Krishnaswami Ayyangar - Exponent of Vedic Mathematics.
- K.R.Parthasarathy- Professor Emeritus at the Indian Statistical Institute of New Delhi
- Professor Chidambaram Padmanabhan Ramanujam - Mathematician, TIFR.
- Madabusi Raghunathan - Mathematician & Fellow of the Royal Society (2000).
- Srinivas Ramanujan - Renowned mathematician, known for his work on Infinite Series, Number Theory and Ramanujan's master theorem.
- R. Madhavan - Indian actor, writer, film producer and television host.
- Vasundhara Das - Indian actress and singer.
- Hema Malini - Indian actress and Bharathnatyam exponent
- Gorur Ramaswamy Iyengar - popularly known as Goruru, was a Kannada writer; well known for his humour and satire.
- Masti Venkatesha Iyengar - Kannada writer, recipient of Jnanpith Award, the highest literary honor conferred in India.
- P. T. Narasimhachar - playwright, poet, recipient of Pampa Award and a Sahitya Akademi fellow.
- Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar - popularly known as Ariyakudi, was a Carnatic Music vocalist.
- Tiger Varadachariar - Carnatic vocalist and composer.
- Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar - Singer and composer of Carnatic music
- N. Ravikiran - Gottuvadhyam artist, Youngest to receive the President of India's Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
- Doraiswamy Iyengar - Carnatic Veena player.
- Srinivas Venkataraghavan - Indian cricketer.
- Rangachar Narayana Iyengar - Renowned Civil Engineer, Director, Center for Disaster Mitigation (CDM) at Jain University, Bangalore.
- Sundaraja Sitharama Iyengar - Computer Scientist, known for the Brooks-Iyengar algorithm and MobiCon Middleware Platform.
- Tirumalai Krishnamacharya - Father of modern yoga, yogi and healer who taught B.K.S. Iyengar, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, and Indra Devi.
- Ramaswami. "C Vijayaraghavachariar, (1852-1944), President-Nagpur, 1920". Congress Sandesh. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- Bhattacharya, Jogendra Nath (1896). Hindu Castes and Sects: An Exposition on the Origins of Hindu caste system. Thacker, Spink & Co. p. 78.
- "ReelshowInt MAG". Mag.reelshowint.com. 15 June 2010. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- "Sify Movies - Vasundhara Das Interview". Sify.com. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- India Today International. Living Media International Limited. 2004. p. 23.
Hema Malini self identifies her Iyengar Brahmin ancestry, says "I'm a pukka Iyengar Brahmin...".