List of National Football League retired numbers
Teams in the National Football League (NFL) retire jersey numbers of players who either are considered by the team to have made significant contributions to that team's success, or who have experienced untimely deaths during their playing career. As with other leagues, once a team retires a player's jersey number, it never issues the number to any other player, unless the player explicitly allows it.
Since the NFL began retiring numbers, 139 players have had their jersey number retired. The Chicago Bears have the most retired numbers of any team with 14. Only one player, Reggie White, has had their number retired by two different teams. Three teams – the Oakland Raiders, the Atlanta Falcons, and the Dallas Cowboys – traditionally do not retire jersey numbers, and three others – the Buffalo Bills, the Washington Redskins, and the Pittsburgh Steelers – only do so in extremely rare circumstances. Also without a retired jersey number are the Baltimore Ravens, the Houston Texans, and the Jacksonville Jaguars, although those teams are less than 20 years old (although some numbers have been placed out of circulation).
Unlike Major League Baseball (who retired Jackie Robinson's number) and the National Hockey League (Wayne Gretzky), the NFL has never retired a jersey number league-wide in honor of anyone. Numbers 0 and 00 are no longer allowed, but were not retired in honor of any particular player, since the NFL's positional numbering system, imposed in 1973, does not allocate a position for players wearing those numbers (the NFL did allow those numbers in the past; Johnny Olszewski, Jim Otto and Ken Burrough all wore 0 or 00).
|Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame|
- "Atlanta Falcons Ring Of Honor". AtlantaFalcons.com.
- Team Encyclopedias and Records - Pro-Football-Reference.com
- "The 00 Fad: It's Much Ado About Nothing". The Chicago Tribune. May 27, 1990.
- "NFL Retired Player Numbers". NFL.com. National Football League. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- The Times newspaper 2001-12-19, scanned and uploaded to Google News, retrieved 2011-12-06
- Bills’ Bruce Smith to have jersey number retired at 2016 home opener. WIVB-TV (May 10, 2016). Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Davis was a member of the 1962 Browns team but due to a recent bout with cancer that at the time was in remission, coach Paul Brown refused to play him. The cancer returned later in 1962, eventually killing Davis in the 1963 offseason. Ernie Davis biography
- Peyton Manning received permission from Frank Tripucka to wear No. 18 during his time with the Broncos.
- Green Bay Packers#Retired numbers
- "Packers retire Reggie White's jersey", 1999-10-11
- Played for the Colts while the franchise was at Baltimore.
- "Kansas City Chiefs to retire Emmitt Thomas' number" - KC Chiefs online
- Johnson died from injuries sustained in the 1963 preseason, his rookie campaign. Stone Johnson died 50 years ago from injury in NFL game
- "Chiefs retire Thomas' No. 58 at half" - ESPN, 2009-12-06
- "On a banner day for Alworth, Chargers retire jersey No. 19", The San Diego Union Tribune, 2005-11-21
- "Chargers To Retire LaDainian Tomlinson's Number"
- ESPN, 2012-05-11
- Played for the Rams while the franchise was at Los Angeles.
- "Rams retire Faulk's No. 28 jersey at halftime", NFL news (official), 2007-12-22
- "Rams retire Jones' No. 75 jersey", ESPN, 2009-09-27
- "Rams retire Isaac Bruce's number", ESPN, 31 October 2010
- "Gino Cappelletti: New England" - Taste of the NFL website
- "Patriots Grogan and Bledsoe Caught in Retired Numbers Game" - Bleacher Report
- "Curtis Martin has jersey number retired by Jets", Daynews, 9 September 2012
- Cimini, Rich (October 24, 2012). "The bond no man could break". ESPNNewYork.com. Retrieved October 24, 2012.
- Lange, Randy (October 28, 2012). "Jets Come Up Empty in 30-9 Loss to Dolphins". NewYorkJets.com. Retrieved October 29, 2012.
- "Donovan McNabb cheered in Philly"
- Daily Philadelphian.com, 2011-08-14
- Dawkins Speaks, Number Retired
- "Eagles honor Reggie White, retire his jersey", ESPN, 2005-12-05
- "Eagles make sure no one wears 99 again" - The Morning Call, 1992-09-07
- "49ers to retire Young's #8", TSN website, 2008-09-25
- Trent Dilfer received permission from Brodie, a personal friend, to wear #12 during his time with the 49ers."Dilfer to wear longtime hero Brodie's No. 12", ESPN, 2006-07-28
- "49ers to retire Lott's jersey" - SF Gate.com, 2003-11-06
- "49ers retire Jerry Rice's number at half" - ESPN, 2010-09-21
- Jerry Rice received permission from Largent to wear #80 during his time with the Seahawks."Seahawks/NFL: Loan of No. 80 a class act by Hawks' classiest", 2004-10-22
- "Seahawks retire Cortez Kennedy's No. 96", King5.com, 14 October 2012
- "Hawks to retire Cortez Kennedy’s jersey", The News Tribune, 11 October 2012
- Brooks' #55 To Be Retired
- "Bucs to retire Warren Sapp's No. 99", 2013-05-02
- "Titans Retire Warren Moon's No. 1", 2010-10-06
- Retired jersey numbers on Titans website