List of countries by Internet connection speeds
This list of countries by Internet connection speed lists the Akamai State of the Internet Report "Average Connection Speed" (ACS) of TCP-level Internet access by end-users accessing content on the Akamai content delivery network. According to Akamai, ACS is not indicative of overall broadband connection speed because it is mitigated by several factors such as parallel web browser requests, small files slowed down by TCP slow-start, and IP address sharing. Akamai advises that its "Average Peak Connection Speed" (APCS) is "more representative of Internet connection capacity". Consequently, users actually access the Internet approximately four times faster than this article suggests. The Akamai State of the Internet Report is published four times a year.
As published in the report State of the Internet by Akamai Technologies in 2013, the fastest average download data rate was measured at 23 Mbit/s in South Korea, which is over 40% faster than the next ranked country, Japan, with 12.9 Mbit/s. South Korea's speed is almost six times faster than the world average of 3.8 Mbit/s, and more than twice as fast as the United States at 10 Mbit/s.
Akamai 2014 rankings
|Rank||Country/Territory||Avg. connection speed (megabits per second)|
|36||United Arab Emirates||4.7|
Akamai 2013 rankings
Akamai does not publish results for all countries. Therefore, the rankings displayed here are only valid for the top 21 countries. The rest have been ranked in the order of their connection speeds as published in the report, with ties sorted alphabetically.
|Rank||Country/Territory||Avg. connection speed (Mbit/s)|
|40||United Arab Emirates||4.2|
- "Clarifying State of the Internet Report Metrics". Akamai Technologies. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "State of the Internet Metrics: What Do They Mean?". Akamai Technologies. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "State of the Internet Report". Akamai Technologies. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "The Akamai State of the Internet Report". Akamai Technologies. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Akamai Technologies. "Akamai's State Of The Internet" (pdf). Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Net Index - global Internet speed index based on results from Speedtest.net[dead link]
- Akami's State of the Internet / Q2 2014
- "Clarifying State of the Internet Report Metrics", akamai.com