List of fictional automobiles
This List of fictional automobiles contains either automobiles that are the subject of a notable work of fiction, or else automobiles that are important elements of a work of fiction. For the purpose of this list, an "automobile" is a self-propelled artificial vehicle that runs in contact with the ground and that can be steered. This would include passenger cars, trucks and busses. This list includes vehicles that the characters of the story would regard as being the products of technological development, as opposed to supernatural or magical forces.
Automobiles in fiction may closely resemble real-life counterparts with only minor or unintentional deviations from a real-life namesake; such vehicles may still play an important role in a story. Or, the limitations of real automobiles may be completely ignored for story purposes; in extreme cases, describing the automobile is the main point of the story.
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang the sometimes-flying car, star of the book/film/musical of the same name
- The Haunted Car
- Gumdrop - an Austin Clifton "Heavy" 12/4, the eponymous star of a series of children's books by Val Biro
- The Hirondel - A Model of car that was used often by Simon Templar, otherwise known as the Saint.
- Melmoth - a car driven by Humbert Humbert in Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita
- "Christine" - a 1958 Plymouth Fury from Stephen King's novel of the same name. (Note: In the photoplay adaptation of that novel, a hardtop coupe was used because in the 1958 model-year, a four-door sedan version of the Plymouth Fury did not yet exist (and would not until 1959;) this was an error in the novel.)
Cars in animated films do not belong in this section.
- Truckster - station wagon in the 1983 comedy National Lampoon's Vacation.
- Cyclops - an extremely large, nuclear-powered bus in the 1976 comedy The Big Bus
- Landmaster - Damnation Alley, 1977
- EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle - Stripes, 1981
- Hannibal Twin-8 (built by fictional Prof. Fate) - The Great Race, 1965
- Leslie Special (built by fictional Webber Motor Company) - The Great Race, 1965
- Light Cycle - Tron
- Pursuit Special - Mad Max
- The Hearse
- The Gnome-Mobile
- The Betsy 1978, based on book by Harold Robbins
- Cars in Death Race 2000 (1975) include The Bull, Buzzbomb, The Lion, The Monster
- Cars[clarification needed] in Death Race
- The Black Beauty - The Green Hornet (2011 film)
- Ecto-1 - Ghostbusters
- 2015 Tartan Prancer - Vacation
- The Flying Wombat - Young at Heart
Television and radio
- Battle Shell - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Cowabunga Carl Party Van - TMNT
- DRAG-U-LA - Grandpa Munster
- FAB1 - Lady Penelope's Rolls-Royce
- General Lee - The Dukes of Hazzard
- Hruck Bubgear - The Middleman
- KITT - Knight Rider (1982 TV series) and KARR (Knight Rider) its evil twin.
- KITT - Knight Rider 2008
- Munster Koach - The Munsters
- Maximum Security Vehicle - Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
- Spectrum Saloon Car (SSC) - Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
- Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle - Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
- Mannix#Mannix.27s automobiles
- Party Wagon - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Rhino - Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet
- Shellraiser - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Turtle Hauler - TMNT: Back to the Sewer
- Turtle Taxi - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Turtle Van - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. car: custom plastic body "cyolac"
Graphic novels, comics, animation
- Batcycle - Several vehicles in Batman (also in TV and film)
- Batmobile - The primary transportation of the DC Comics superhero 'Batman. Note: The Batmobile has taken on many different forms from the 1930s to today and has evolved along with the character in TV, films, and comics.
- Lightning McQueen and multiple other characters - Cars
- The Mystery Machine - Scooby-Doo
- Arrowcar - Green Arrow's vehicle
- Mach Five - Speed Racer
- Spider-Mobile - vehicle briefly used by Spider-Man
- Susie - from the Disney animated short film Susie the Little Blue Coupe
- Thunder Machine
- Gadgetmobile - Inspector Gadget
- List of vehicles in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Driver: Parallel Lines
- 2022 Nike ONE - used as a fossil fuel-free vehicle in Gran Turismo 4
- Red Bull X2010
- Uncle Jalapeño's car from LittleBigPlanet