|Elevation||61 m (200 ft)|
|• Official||Magadhi, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-BR|
As of 2011[update] India census, Masaurhi has a population of 241,216. Males constitute 52.1% of the population and females 47.8%. Masaurhi has an average literacy rate of 53.03%, lower than the national average of 74.04%: male literacy is 61.5%, and female literacy is 43.8%. In Masaurhi, 17% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The Punpun River is a big river which name come in ancient book.This river is mentioned in the Vayu and the Padma Puranas in connection with Gaya Mahatmya as the Punah-punah (again and again) of which Pun-Pun is the colloquial form. The river might have been called by this name because it was frequently in spate. The Puranas interpret the word Punahpuna in a spiritual sense, i.e., sins are removed again and again by offering oblations to the Pitras (forefathers) in the river.
In the 2015 Assembly election, RJD candidate Rekha Paswan won the election with a margin of over 40 thousand. She defeated HAM candidate Nutan Paswan. Arun Manjhi of JD(U) won the Masaurhi (Vidhan Sabha constituency) defeating Sadhu Paswan representing Lok JanShakti Party LJP in October 2010. Poonam Devi of JDU defeated Raj Kishore Prasad representing RJD in 2005. Dharmendra Yadav of RJD defeated Poonam Devi representing JDU in 2000.Ganesh Prasad Singh of Janata Dal defeated Poonam Devi representing Congress in 1995. Yogeshwar Gour of IPF defeated Poonam Devi representing Congress in 1990. Poonam Devi of Congress Ganesh Prasad Singh of LKD in 1985. Ganesh Prasad Singh representing Janata Party (SC) defeated Rabindra Prasad of Janata Party (SR). Ramdeo Prasad Yadav of Janata Party defeated Raj Kishore Prasad of Congress in 1977.
189 Masaurhi (SC) assembly constituency covers Masaurhi and Dhanarua community development blocks.
Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM): Anand Sharma, IAS Batch 2013
Masaurhi is a conglomerate of a rural sub-urban population. Student from nearby areas take trains and buses to come to Masaurhi. There are numerous govt and private schools in Masaurhi. The famous Government high school is SMGK HIGH SCHOOL.
Some Private schools are also there like St. mary's school, DAV Public School,,Pratibha Pallawan Public School,Vidya Sagar Public School etc.
There are some famous coaching Pramod Ranjan's Classes, Vidya coaching center,Krishna coaching centre,Cambridge coaching,Masaurhi commercial institute,The Career Point. There is also a dance n music class Sur sagar music classes etc.
There are three government college D.N. College, P.L.S. College, and B.L.P College.
There is a movie theatre too, named Sandhya Talkies. There are many playing grounds in Masaurhi, one of them is The Historical Gandhi Maidan (not to be confused with the one in Patna) and has its historical significance for the arrival of Mahatma Gandhi in late 1930s.
Masaurhi is mostly driven by social harmony of Hindu and Muslim culture. Both observes own festival in large scale.
Masaurhi is connected with road and rail.Here is no airport.
The subdivision is connected with neighbouring subdivision,districts and with major cities outside the state. National highway No.83 (Patna—Masaurhi-Jehanabad-Gaya-Bodhgaya-Dobhi) and State Highway No.1 passes through the Subdivision. National Highway no. 83 is a part of Budhha circuit road.Masaurhi-pali Road, Masaurhi-Ekangarsaray-Biharsharif Road also a very important road. There are three bus stations in Masaurhi:
- East Bus Station- For Jehanabad, Gaya via NH-83. For Patna,Dhanarua,Paveri,Gaurichak via SH-1.
- Taregna Bus station- For Nadwan,Pothi, Punpun,Mithapur, Patna Via NH-83
- West Bus Station- For Noorah,Pitmas,Vikram patna, For Pali via Masaurhi-Pali state highway road.
22 July 2009 solar eclipse
Taregna(Masaurhi) experienced a sudden load of visitors coming to the village to see the solar eclipse of July 22, 2009, as, according to various sources, it will be one of the best locations within the path of totality to watch the solar eclipse. It was reported that the solar eclipse should be visible for at least three minutes and 38 seconds from Taregana. However, the maximum duration of the eclipse will be six minutes 38 seconds in the Pacific Ocean. However, on 22 July the eclipse was obscured by heavy cloud cover.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "187 - Masaurhi Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original on April 10, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- "General Election 2009 Assembly constituencies". Pataliputra. India elections.co.in. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Order No. 48, 2007" (PDF). Delimitation Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "Patna Nagar ePaper:Patna Nagar Newspaper,Patna Nagar Hindi ePaper,Newspaper of Patna Nagar - Jagran ePaper". epaper.jagran.com. Retrieved 2016-02-14.
- National Highway 83 (India)
- BBC News - Eclipse fever in India village
- cloud cover Taregna disappoints eclipse watchers