Mykhailo Bronislavovych Yezhel
Admiral Mykhailo Yezhel
Михайло Броніславович Єжель
|Born||October 19, 1952|
Bar Raion, Ukrainian SSR
|Years of service||July 1970 - October 2003|
Admiral (Ret.) Mykhailo Bronislavovych Yezhel (Ukrainian: Михайло Броніславович Єжель) is the former Minister of Defence of Ukraine (from 2010 to 2012) and a former Commander of the Ukrainian Navy (from 2001 to 2003).
In 1970 he completed 10th grade in a Republican specialized boarding school in Kiev and went on military career. Having served in the Pacific Fleet of the Soviet Navy from 1975 till 1993, Yezhel acquired citizenship of the newly independent Ukraine and joined its Navy from the very beginning of its foundation.
From March 11, 2010 until February 8, 2012 he served as the Minister of Defence of Ukraine. According to Ukrayinska Pravda he had been forced to resign "for failure to plan for army reform". On 24 February 2012 Yezhel was appointed an adviser to Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych.
In March 2016 Mykhailo Yezhel together with (his successor as Minister of Defence) Pavlo Lebedyev were placed on a wanted list by Ukrainian authorities on suspicion of criminal activities and desertion. Yezhel was specifically wanted in relation to the sale of two Tu-95MS bombers to Russia during his period as defense minister. In April 2015 Belarus refused to respond to the Ukrainian request as to whether Yezhel lived in Minsk. Yezhel than confirmed that he and his family did live in Belarus, and that he will only return to Ukraine after a withdraw of the criminal charges. He was granted refugee status in Belarus in July 2018.
- Yanukovych replaces defense minister, Kyiv Post (8 February 2012)
- VR of Ukraine appointed Yezhel Defense Minister of Ukraine, UNIAN (March 11, 2010)
- Ukraine gets new defence minister, Kyiv Post (8 February 2012)
- (in Ukrainian) ЯНУКОВИЧ ЗМІНИВ ЄЖЕЛЯ НА САЛАМАТІНА, Ukrayinska Pravda (8 February 2012)
- Former Defense Minister Yezhel appointed presidential adviser, Kyiv Post (24 February 2012)
- (in Ukrainian) The court allowed the investigation into the distance Yezhel, Ukrayinska Pravda (22 August 2016)
- "Two former Ukrainian defense ministers announced wanted – chief military prosecutor", Interfax-Ukraine, 14 March 2016
- Belarus grants refugee status to ex-defense minister of Ukraine
| Naval Commander of Ukraine
|This biographical article about a Ukrainian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|