Castle of Nemours
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Valérie Lacroute (UMP)|
|Area1||10.83 km2 (4.18 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||77333 / 77140|
|Elevation||57–133 m (187–436 ft)
(avg. 62 m or 203 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Nemours is supposed to derive its name from the woods (nemora) in the midst of which it formerly stood, and discoveries of Gallo-Roman remains indicate its early origin.
The Knight Gauthier III, was the son of Philippe II de Villebéon, Lord of Nemours, Grand Chamberman of France, and Marguerite d'Achères, and inherited the Lordship of Nemours when the father dies in 1257. The brother of Gauthier III was Jean de Nemours, Lord of Nanteau-sur-Lunain, know also with the name Jean de Nanteau o Jean de Nanteuil (lat. Johannes de Nantolio).
It was captured by the English in 1420, but derives its historical importance rather from the lordship (afterwards duchy) to which it gave its name. In 1585 a treaty revoking previous concessions to the Protestants was concluded at Nemours between Catherine de' Medici and the Guises.
The Castle of Nemours
The construction of the castle of Nemours began around 1120 on the left of the river Loing. It was completed in 1170 by the Lord of Nemours Gauthier I de Villebon.
The church, which dates mainly from the sixteenth century, has a handsome wooden spire. The feudal castle, erected around 1120 was turned into a museum in the 20th century. It has a central keep with four rounded towers.
A statue of the mathematician Bézout (d. 1783), a native of the town, was erected in 1885.
In the vicinity is a group of fine sandstone rocks, and sand is extensively quarried.
Inhabitants are called Nemouriens.
People linked with Nemours history:
- Éleuthère Irénée du Pont de Nemours, founder of DuPont
- Pierre Samuel Dupont de Nemours, economist and writer
- Pierre de Nemours (o de La Chapelle), Bishop of Paris, died in Damietta in the Fifth Crusade
- Gauthier III de Nemours, Lord of Nemours
- Gauthier II de Nemours, Grand chambellan de France
- Marie de Nemours, princess of Neuchâtel, Swiss canton
Nemours was the birthplace of:
- Jean Aimar (1228–1277), historian
- Étienne Bézout (1730–1783), mathematician
- Geoffrey Kondogbia footballer
- Justin-Chrysostome Sanson (1833–1910), sculptor
- Philippe Petit (1949-), highwire artist
- Emile-Louis Richemond, "Recherches généalogiques sur la famille des seigneurs de Nemours du XIIe au XVe siècle", Volume 2, M. Bourges, 1908
- Annales de la Société Historique et Archéologique du Gâtinais, Volume 19, La Société, 1901
- Revue historique, Volumi 79-80, Librairie G. Baillère, 1965
- E. Richemond, Seigneurs de Nemours, 1908
- Alberic de Trois-Fontaines, Chronicon Tres episcopos Noviomenem, Parisiensem et Meldensem et quatuor milites Philippus de Nemosio…Ursonem, Galterum iuniorem et Iohannem
- Richemond, Vols. I, 1907
- Richemond, Vols. II, 1908
- Jean Flori, Le Crociate, Il Mulino, 2011, ISBN 978-88-15-09090-4
- Jean Richard " Saint Louis - Roi d'une France féodale, soutien de la Terre sainte", Fayard, Paris, 1983 ISBN = 2-213-01168-0
- Jacques Le Goff, "Saint Louis", Gallimard, Paris, 1996, ISBN = 2-07-073369-6
- Antoine Rivet de la Grange, François Clément, Charles Clémencet, Pierre Claude François, "Histoire littéraire de la France", vol. 17, XIII, pgg 214
- Émile-Louis Richemond, "Recherches généalogiques sur la famille des seigneurs de Nemours du XIIe au XVe siècle" vol. 2, 1908
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
P.Anselme— pp. 624 e segg., Anselme
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nemours.|
-  Lordship of Villemomble & Villebéon
- Official site (French)
- Nemours tourism office website
- 1999 Land Use, from IAURIF (Institute for Urban Planning and Development of the Paris-Île-de-France région) (English)
- French Ministry of Culture list for Nemours (French)
- Map of Nemours on Michelin (English)
|This article related to a Seine-et-Marne location is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|