The town hall of Lagny-sur-Marne
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
|Intercommunality||Marne et Gondoire|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Jean-Paul Michel|
|Area1||5.72 km2 (2.21 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,600/km2 (9,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||77243 /77400|
|Elevation||37–112 m (121–367 ft)
(avg. 44 m or 144 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Lagny-sur-Marne (pronounced [laɲi syʁ maʁn]; English: Lagny on the Marne) is a commune in the eastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located in the Seine-et-Marne department in the Île-de-France 26.1 km (16.2 mi) from the center of Paris.
During the Middle Ages Lagny-sur-Marne was a popular place for tourneys in Northern France. In November 1179 a notable tournament was held by Louis VII of France in honour of the coronation of his son. Later in 1846, Lagny-sur-Marne annexed the commune of Saint-Denis-du-Port.
Inhabitants are called Latignaciens or Laniaques.
Lagny-sur-Marne is served by Lagny – Thorigny station on the Transilien Paris – Est suburban rail line. This station, although administratively located on the territory of the neighboring commune of Thorigny-sur-Marne, lies immediately across the Marne River from the town center of Lagny-sur-marne.
The commune has ten preschools and nine elementary schools. There are two junior high schools, Collège Les 4 Arpents and Collège Marcel Rivière, as well as one senior high school/sixth-form college, Lycée Van Dongen.
- Christopher Jullien, footballer
- Paul Pogba - footballer
- Benjamin Boukpeti - Togolese canoeist who won a bronze medal in the 2008 Summer Olympics, which was Togo's first ever Olympic medal.
- It is possible that the Irish family de Lany came from Lagny-sur-Marne.
- "Contact." Titus Interactive. 3 June 2004. Retrieved on 4 September 2012. "Titus Interactive SA : Parc de l'Esplanade 12, rue Enrico Fermi 77462 Lagny sur Marne Cedex. FRANCE"
- "Maternelle et élémentaire." Lagny-sur-Marne. Retrieved on September 3, 2016.
- "Collèges et lycées." Lagny-sur-Marne. Retrieved on September 3, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lagny-sur-Marne.|
- Official site (in French)
- 1999 Land Use, from IAURIF (Institute for Urban Planning and Development of the Paris-Île-de-France région) (in English)
- French Ministry of Culture list for Lagny-sur-Marne (in French)
- Map of Lagny-sur-Marne on Michelin (in English)
|This article related to a Seine-et-Marne location is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|