New River Inn
New River Inn
|Location||Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
|NRHP Reference #||72000303|
|Added to NRHP||June 19, 1972|
The building was constructed of hollow concrete blocks and sand dredged from the nearby beach setting the standard for modern construction in the region. It included sewer and irrigation systems, running ice water and was lit with carbide lamps.
In 1976, the Inn became the first out of the two buildings to house the Museum of Discovery and Science as the Discovery Center, and the first floor housed exhibits about natural history, while the second floor housed exhibits about non-natural history, and the exhibits were obselete, so the museum was relocated in 1992, to a much larger facility located one block north and a few blocks west of the Inn, which houses exhibits mainly about science plus a few rides, and even includes an Autonation-IMAX 3D theater with a 5 story high screen, or a 4980 square foot screen.
The Inn now serves as a museum showcasing Florida's past and pioneer life. The museum is owned and operated by the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society. Permanent exhibits include: "Panorama of the Past" detailing the entire history of the Greater Fort Lauderdale area; a hotel room which has been decorated to appear as a typical hotel room of 1908; and the historic King-Cromartie House built in 1907.
The New River Inn is located at 231 SW 2nd Avenue and is open for tours Tuesday through Sunday from Noon to 4 p.m. Admission is $10 and includes a self-guided tour of the New River Inn and a docent-led tour of the 1907 King-Cromartie House and the 1899 Replica School House. Docent-led tours begin at 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Fort Lauderdale Historical Society". http://www.fortlauderdalehistoricalsociety.org/. External link in
- "Fort Lauderdale Historical Society- Ticket Sales". http://www.fortlauderdalehistoricalsociety.org/events/ticket-sales/. The Fort Lauderdale Historical Society, Inc. External link in
- Broward County listings at National Register of Historic Places
- Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs
- Fort Lauderdale Historical Society
Media related to New River Inn at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a property in Broward County, Florida on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Florida museum–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|