Newbridge railway station, Caerphilly
150213 and 150229 at Newbridge on the first weekend after reopening
|Managed by||Arriva Trains Wales|
|Owned by||Network Rail|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|23 December 1850||Opened|
|30 April 1962||Closed to passengers|
|7 April 1969||Closed to goods|
|6 February 2008||Reopened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Newbridge from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The station is on the site of the former station and coal yard in the town centre opposite the Co-op food store and existing council car park. The single-platform station and car park is off a signalised junction on Bridge Street. The original station was opened by the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company on 23 December 1850, which closed to passengers on 30 April 1962 and to goods on 7 April 1969.
An hourly service operates in both directions on weekdays and Saturdays with a two-hourly Sunday service.
In February 2009 Caerphilly County Borough Council started construction on a footbridge to link the station with the Comprehensive School, Leisure Centre and the town centre.
||This section possibly contains unsourced predictions, speculative material, or accounts of events that might not occur. Information must be verifiable and based on reliable published sources. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Doubling between Crosskeys and Aberbeeg Jct will require a second platform to be built at Newbridge and Llanhilleth
Following completion of the doubling and new platform (including Llanhilleth), a train service between Ebbw Vale and Newport is planned.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Clinker, C.R. (1988) . Clinker's Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots in England, Scotland and Wales 1830–1980 (2nd ed.). Bristol: Avon-Anglia Publications & Services. ISBN 978-0-905466-91-0. OCLC 655703233.
- Quick, Michael (2009) . Railway passenger stations in Great Britain: a chronology (4th ed.). Oxford: Railway and Canal Historical Society. ISBN 978-0-901461-57-5. OCLC 612226077.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Newbridge (Caerphilly) railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Newbridge railway station, Caerphilly from National Rail
- Planning Approval Granted for New Railway Station
- Archive of Ebbw Valley Railway Scheme website (Blaenau Gwent council, 2008)
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Llanhilleth||Arriva Trains Wales
Cardiff Central - Ebbw Vale Town
|Crumlin Low Level
Line open, station closed
|Great Western Railway
Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company
|Celynen South Halt
Line open, station closed