The village itself is an enclosure. North Mimms Park and Brookmans Park enclose large areas of the parish. Even the parish church (St Mary's) stands in the park of North Mimms; in it is a chapel, the burialplace of the Coningsbys. There is a monument to Robert Knolles, also of North Mimms Place, dated 1458, and a brass to a priest. There is a large monument to Lord Somers, Baron Evesham, and lord chancellor in the time of William III, d. 1716. The monument was erected by his sister, Lady Elizabeth Jekyll.
The civil parish includes:
- North Mimms Place: The Jacobean house of 1599 belonged to the Coningsby family. During the ownership of Thomas Coningsby, a Royalist leader in Hertfordshire, the house was plundered by the Parliamentarians. Later North Mimms Park belonged to the Hyde family . The house is famous for its collection of tapestries and for its panelling and fittings. An early 17th-century painted frieze of the "Nine Worthies" was rediscovered in the 20th century.
North Mymms House was a location for the 1983 film The Wicked Lady, starring Faye Dunaway as a bored aristocratic lady who takes up highway robbery.
- Brookmans Park: The park includes the former park of Gobions (demolished) once the property of Sir Thomas More. A lofty castellated gateway in the park is now called "The Folly". In 1956 North Mymms Parish Council acquired the land and the lake now known as Gobions Open Space.
North Mymms is also home to the Hawkshead Campus of the Royal Veterinary College, part of the University of London. The campus also includes the Equine Referral Hospital, and the Queen Mother Hospital for Animals.
North Mymms is spelt differently from the sister village of South Mimms. The two spellings Mymms and Mimms appear to have been used interchangeably over the centuries, until Feb 20th 1939 when Hertfordshire County Council decreed in a council meeting that the spelling be fixed as Mymms.
Media related to North Mymms at Wikimedia Commons
- Brookmans Park Newsletter Award-winning community website.
- Newsletter's Local History Section More than 20 complete books and 40 features about North Mymms.
- Local History Forum Discussion area about North Mymms history.
- Parish Council
- North Mymms and South Mimms
- North Mimms or Mymms (A Guide to Old Hertfordshire)
- Peter Kingsford, "A history of the Gobions"
- North Mymms Youth Project a large thriving youth club based in the Parish
- AFC Mymms Football Club
- North Mymms Cricket Club
- for North Mymms
- Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Campus Website: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/About/Campuses/Hawkshead.cfm
- Brookmans park Newsletter: http://www.brookmans.com/history/mymms.shtml