Ocean County College
|Type||Two-year community college|
|President||Jon H. Larson|
|Location||Toms River, New Jersey, USA|
Ocean County College (OCC) is an accredited, coeducational, two-year, public, community college located in Ocean County, New Jersey. Its main campus is in Toms River. Other locations include the Southern Education Center in Manahawkin and over twenty off-campus sites throughout Ocean County.
The current President is Jon H. Larson, who entered office in 2000. Previously, he was president of Luzerne County Community College in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania. He holds a BA degree from Norwich University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Maryland.
Distance Associate Degree Nursing Program
Ocean County College received a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation grant to develop an online education model to address shortages of RNs in the hospital setting, and to create New Jersey’s first online Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) Program. Although there are many online RN to BSN and MSN programs, there are very few online programs at the ADN level. The program allows those currently employed in the health care field to complete an RN program by attending class only one day per week (primarily on-site in host health care institutions) supplemented by online instruction. In November 2006 the OCC One Day per Week Nursing Program received a President's Award from the New Jersey Public Health Association honoring this online nursing program for helping to reduce the nursing shortage in New Jersey.
Noted community members
- John C. Bartlett, Jr., member of the Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
- James F. Lacey, member of the Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
- Richard O'Meara, Brigadier General, United States Army
- Danny Clinch, photographer and film director
- Bruce Springsteen, musician
- Rev. Dr. Eric Hafner (born 1991), 2016 U.S. Congressional Candidate for the 2nd District of Hawaii, Ordained Minister, Diplomatic Advisor, Criminal Law Expert.