Former city hall of Oirschot
Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Judith Keijzers-Verschelling (CDA)|
|• Total||102.84 km2 (39.71 sq mi)|
|• Land||101.78 km2 (39.30 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.06 km2 (0.41 sq mi)|
|Elevation||17 m (56 ft)|
|Population (August 2017)|
|• Density||183/km2 (470/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||013, 0499|
Oirschot (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈoːrsxɔt] ( listen); dialect: Orskot) is a municipality and a town in the southern Netherlands. It is situated 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from the city of Eindhoven and 20 kilometres (12 mi) from the city of Tilburg in the province Noord-Brabant (North Brabant). The municipality had a population of 18,599 in 2017.
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Oirschot, June 2015
There are more than 300 monuments in the municipality Oirschot. Some of the monuments are:
- The Roman Catholic Church named Sint-Petrus’-Bandenkerk. This 15th- and 16th-century Gothic church is the biggest building in the town of Oirschot and the tower of the church is 73 meters high.
- The old town hall build in 1513 in the centre of town (Oirschot)
- Maria-church (Maria-kerk). A 12th-century Romanesque church in the centre of the town of Oirschot.
- Monastery Nazareth (Klooster Nazareth) with a chapel in Neoromanesque style (1910).
- Former Brewery De Kroon (Brouwerij de Kroon) built in 1773
- Hof van Solms, palace of Arnoldus Feij (or Arnold Fey)
- The Big Chair (De Grote Stoel) the biggest chair of Europe.
- Huize Groenenberg, a very fine house built in 1613.
- Chapel of the Holy Oak (Kapel van de Heilige Eik), stone chapel dated 1606 (earlier there was a wooden chapel at the same place).
- Zinderend Oirschot
- Countery & Western weekend
There are many more festivals in Oirschot every year.
The municipal elections in March 2018 resulted in the following make-up of the City Council (17 seats in total):
- CDA: 4 seats
- De Gewone Man (local party): 4 seats
- Dorpsvisie (local party): 3 seats
- Sociaal Progressief Oirschot (local party): 3 seats
- VVD: 2 seats
- D66: 1 seats
The old 2014 coalition that was governing Oirschot was formed out of 4 parties: CDA, Socialist Party, Dorpsvisie and PvdA.
The mayor of the municipality Oirschot is named Judith Keijzers-Verschelling. She is member of the political party CDA.
- "Samenstelling" [Members] (in Dutch). Gemeente Oirschot. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 5688AK". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.