Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Elly Blanksma-van den Heuvel (CDA)|
|• Total||54.75 km2 (21.14 sq mi)|
|• Land||53.23 km2 (20.55 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.52 km2 (0.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||18 m (59 ft)|
|Population (August 2017)|
|• Density||1,702/km2 (4,410/sq mi)|
|Demonyms||Helmondenaar, Helmonder, Helmonter|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Helmond (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈɦɛlmɔnt] (listen); called Héllemond in the local dialect) is a municipality and a city in the Metropoolregio Eindhoven of the province of North Brabant in the southern Netherlands.
The name 'Helmond' can be traced back to a combination of Hel, which means "low-lying" (from Proto-Germanic *haljæ / contemporary Hel), and Mond, which would refer to a higher ground, secure place. The name has nothing to do with the contemporary literal translation of Hell Mouth. In 1241 a first coat of arms was created, containing a helmet as a reference to the word Helmond, since this early in history the historical meaning of the city name was already lost to its inhabitants. This helmet would symbolize the fortified medieval town. Originally a medieval pot helmet, this was later adapted to a new fashion style and is now a tournament helmet. The oak branches symbolizing freedom. The bird in the branches is a medieval decoration and has no meaning.
Helmond is subdivided into quarters and neighbourhoods:
- Quarter 11 Inner City
- Neighbourhood 0 Centrum
- Neighbourhood 2 Leonardus
- Neighbourhood 3 Heipoort
- Neighbourhood 4 Stationsgebied
- Neighbourhood 5 Vossenberg
- Neighbourhood 6 Annabuurt en Suytkade
- Neighbourhood 7 Steenweg en omgeving
- Quarter 11 Helmond-East
- Neighbourhood 0 Beisterveld
- Neighbourhood 1 Beisterveldse Broek
- Neighbourhood 2 Straakven
- Quarter 12 Helmond-North
- Neighbourhood 0 Bloemvelden
- Neighbourhood 1 Binderen
- Neighbourhood 2 Eeuwsels
- Quarter 13 Mierlo-Hout
- Neighbourhood 0 't Hout-Centrum
- Neighbourhood 1 Kroon
- Neighbourhood 2 Akkers
- Neighbourhood 3 Gansenwinkel
- Neighbourhood 9 Groot Goor
- Quarter 14 Brouwhuis
- Neighbourhood 0 Brouwhuis-Dorp
- Neighbourhood 1 Brouwhuis-West
- Neighbourhood 2 Brouwhuis-Oost
- Neighbourhood 4 Brouwhorst
- Neighbourhood 9 Kloostereind
- Quarter 15 Helmond-West
- Neighbourhood 0 West
- Neighbourhood 1 Houtsdonk
- Quarter 16 Warande
- Neighbourhood 0 Oranjebuurt
- Neighbourhood 1 Zwanenbeemd
- Neighbourhood 9 Overbrug
- Quarter 17 Stiphout
- Neighbourhood 0 Stiphout-Dorp
- Neighbourhood 1 Schooten
- Neighbourhood 9 Geeneind
- Quarter 18 Rijpelberg
- Neighbourhood 1 Rijpelberg-Oost
- Neighbourhood 2 Rijpelberg-West
- Neighbourhood 9 Berkendonk
- Quarter 19 Dierdonk
- Neighbourhood 0 Kern Dierdonk
- Neighbourhood 9 Scheepstal
- Quarter 21 Brandevoort
- Neighbourhood 1 De Veste
- Neighbourhood 2 Schutsboom
- Neighbourhood 3 Stepekolk
- Neighbourhood 4 Berenbroek
- Quarter 29 Industrial park-South
- Neighbourhood 1 Hoogeind
- Neighbourhood 2 B.Z.O.B.
First settlements in the area were around 1000, and Helmond was granted city rights in approximately 1232. The centre of Helmond has a castle which was built by Jan III van Berlaer around 1350.
- ED - Helmond Plus
- ZondagNieuws (translated: SundayNews)
- De Traverse
- De Loop
- Omroep Helmond (Radio) (translated: Helmond Broadcasting (Radio))
- Internetradio Helmond Sport
- Omroep Helmond (TV) (translated: Helmond Broadcasting (TV)
News on the internet:
- Alles Over Helmond (part of Omroep Helmond) (translated: Everything About Helmond)
- De Weblog van Helmond (translated: Helmonds´ weblog)
The municipal council consists of 37 seats. Below the council since 1998:
|Trots op Nederland||-||-||-||2||-||-|
- The political parties SDH-OH, Helmondse Belangen, and D66 form 1 parliamentary group in the council, but took part in the elections separately. In the elections they received 4, 2 and 2 seats respectively.
- The party 50Plus was known as senioren until the elections of 2018
Representatives of the blue colored parliamentary groups form the executive coalition.
- Lucas Gassel (c 1490-c 1570), painter
- Anthonius Konings (1821-1884), Redemptionist professor
- Franz Jozef Van Beeck (1930-2011), author and theologian
- Willy van der Kuijlen (born 1946), football (soccer) player
- Lisette Sevens (born 1949), field hockey player
- René and Willy van de Kerkhof (born 1951), football (soccer) players and twins
- Fieke Boekhorst (born 1957), field hockey player
- Elly Blanksma-van den Heuvel (born 1959), politician and former banking manager (mayor of Helmond since 2012)
- Berry van Aerle (born 1962), football (soccer) player
- Harry van Bommel (born 1962), politician
- Diana van Berlo (born 1966), former member of disco/pop girl group Luv'
- Stochelo Rosenberg (born 1968), Gypsy Jazz performer
- M. H. Benders (born 1971), poet
- Wilfred Bouma (born 1978), football (soccer) player
- Nieky Holzken (born 1983), thaiboxer
Twin towns — sister cities
Helmond is twinned with:
- "Mw. Elly Blanksma- Van den Heuvel" (in Dutch). Gemeente Helmond. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 5707BX". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Vlisco Véritable Hollandais
- Onder de Biesbosch, Historisch-geografische en naamkundige bouwstenen voor een reconstructie van het in 1421 verdronken middeleeuwse cultuurlandschap van de Groote Waard. Tijdschrift voor Waterstaatsgeschiedenis (2006); webversie 2007. (PDF) In Dutch. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Jos & Cor Swanenberg: Taal in stad en land: Oost-Brabants, ISBN 9012090105
- "CBS StatLine - Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2004-2010". Statline.cbs.nl. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Zielona Góra Miasta partnerskie". Urząd Miasta Zielona Góra. Retrieved 2013-06-24.