Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Wobine Buijs-Glaudemans (VVD)|
|• Total||159.87 km2 (61.73 sq mi)|
|• Land||152.42 km2 (58.85 sq mi)|
|• Water||7.45 km2 (2.88 sq mi)|
|Elevation||7 m (23 ft)|
|• Density||596/km2 (1,540/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||0412, 0486, 073|
Dutch Topographic map of Oss (municipality), June 2015
City center of Oss
Oss has a shopping center with outlets including The Sting and C&A, but not much more. The center has many squares. The only real shopping streets (also the best known) are the Heuvelstraat, Walstraat and the Peperstraat. The squares are connected with these shopping streets and passages that contain shops. One of the passages (The Passage, Dutch: de Passage, Local Dialect: 't Gengske) had an overhauling renovation in 2014. It now resembles an old Dutch street.
The city of Oss
There is archaeological evidence that humans have lived in and around Oss for 4,000 years. Major archaeological finds were the Vorstengraf burial sites and the indigenous-Roman burial fields of Oss-Ussen.
Oss was first mentioned in a letter by Pope Alexander II on 6 May 1069. Oss was granted city rights in 1399 by Hertogin (Duchess) Johanna van Brabant. Present-day Oss has several chemical and pharmaceutical industries like Merck & Co. (previously Schering-Plough, Organon and Diosynth). Oss is also host to the professional football team FC Oss, and is the birthplace of former Manchester United and Real Madrid star Ruud van Nistelrooy, although he did not play for the local side, but for rivals FC Den Bosch.
Berghem is a small town east of Oss (population: 6,900). Berghem is currently being expanded with many new houses in the Piekenhoef.
Megen is a small city (population: 1,686) close to the river Maas.
Megen used to be the 'capital' of the county Megen (including Haren, Macharen and Teeffelen) that was founded around 1145. City rights were obtained in 1357. In 1810, the County Megen became a municipality to which Haren and Macharen also belonged. It became part of the municipality of Oss in 1994.
Currently, there are two monasteries in Megen. One is inhabited by the Clarissas (also called the Poor Clares), followers of St. Clare of Assisi. The other is occupied by the Franciscans, followers of St. Francis of Assisi. Of the two castles Megen used to have, only one tower remains.
Ravenstein (population: 3,728) is a city and was a municipality until 2003, when it was added to the Oss municipality. The municipality covered an area of 42.68 km² and also included villages: Demen, Dennenburg, Deursen, Dieden, Herpen, Huisseling, Keent, Koolwijk, Neerlangel, Neerloon, Overlangel.
Ravenstein received city rights in 1380.
Haren, church of Saint Lambert
- Michel van der Aa (b. 1970), composer
- Chris Berens (b. 1976), visionary painter working in Amsterdam
- Samuel van den Bergh (1864-1941), one of the main European margarine and soap manufacturers in the early 20th century
- John van den Berk (b. 1967), motocross world champion
- Frank Boeijen (b. 1973) songwriter and keyboardist with Dutch metal band The Gathering
- C. C. Catch (b. 1964), pop singer
- Rens van Eijden (b. 1988), footballer
- Bas van de Goor (b. 1971), volleyball player
- Mike van de Goor (b. 1973), volleyball player
- Arno den Hartog (b. 1954), field hockey international
- Jacques de Kadt (1897-1988), political thinker, politician (PvdA) and writer
- Marjolein Kooijman (b. 1980) bass player with Dutch metal band The Gathering since 2004
- Joop Falke (1933-2016) Goldsmith and Sculptor
- Albert Kraus (b. 1980), K-1 World MAX Champion (2002)
- Marc Lammers (b. 1969), field hockey player and coach
- Jan Marijnissen (b. 1952) politician, belonging to the Socialist Party
- Loek van Mil (b. 1984), professional baseball player
- Ruud van Nistelrooy (b. 1976), Netherlands international football player
- Pieter Nooten (b. 1961), musician and composer best known for his work with Clan of Xymox.
- Rick van der Ven (b. 1991), 2012 Olympic Games archery contestant
- Gino Vos (b. 1990), darter
- Coen Janssen (b. 1981), musician and composer known for his work with Dutch symphonic metal band Epica
- "Samenstelling b&w" [Members board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Oss. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 5341GM". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Oss.|