|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
NH7 Omalur Tollplaza near Salem
|• Member of Legislative Assembly||Krishnan C|
|• Total||8.16 km2 (3.15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||298 m (978 ft)|
|• Density||1,600/km2 (4,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Omalur (Tamil:ஓமலூர்) is a panchayat town in the Salem District in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is situated on the National Highway 7 between 11° 73333" latitude and 78° 06667" longitude. It has a population of about 13,600. Agriculture, leather and handloom textiles are the major business. It is the second largest taluk in the district of Salem. Omalur has 95 census villages.
In 14th century, Omalur Kottai built.
The Madurai Nayaks ruled Kongu Nadu, the Gatti Mudalis were the made in-charge of Omalur, Taramangalam and others. They built the temple at Taramangalam which is an architectural wonder. The Salem district, the most dangerously exposed province of the Madurai Nayaks rule. They ruled from Taramangalam, where they built a costly temple. In Salem district, they held the important strategic fort of Omalur and Attur.
The Gatti Mudalis's rule extended east-west from Thalaivasal to Dharapuram and north-south from Omalur to Karur. After the fall of the Vijayanagara Empire, the Gatti Mudalis became the Palaiyakkarar of Omalur under Tirumalai Nayak of Madurai in 1623.
In 1660, Chikka Deveraja conquered Sankagiri, Thoppur and Omalur. In 1667, the Gatti Mudalis lost Omalur to Mysore. In 1688-89, Chikka Deva Raya, the king of Mysore, felt strong enough once again to invade Baramahal and the whole district of Salem came under his control before his death in 1704.
In 1815 Omalur taluk was absorbed into Salem taluk, but was recreated in 1819. It was again absorbed by Salem taluk in 1860, and again recreated in 1910. In 1916 Omalur taluk bifurcated into Omalur and Mettur, and in 1941 Mettur Taluk was absorbed into Omalur.
Omalur is located at  It has an average elevation of 298 metres (977 feet)..
As of 2001[update] India census, Omalur had a population of 12,536. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Omalur has an average literacy rate of 64%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 71%, and female literacy is 58%. In Omalur, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The climate is generally hot and dry. Summer stretches from February to July with its peak during the months of April and May. Temperatures stay above 30 °C and can reach 37 °C. During this time it gets occasional spells of rain. During the months of August and September the South-West monsoons start and bring about 100 mm of rain. In October and November it receives the North-East monsoon.
- Vellasami Chettiyar Higher Secondary School, Omalur
- Fatima Girls Higher Secondary School, Omalur
- Kalaimagal matriculation higher secondary school,RC Chettipatti,Omalur
- SSRM Higher secondary school,karrupur.
- Mount Shervaroys Matriculation School, Poosarippatti
- South Indian Matriculation & Higher Secondary School, Panchukalipatti
- Swamy Vivekanatha Matriculation School, Kadayampatti
- G. R. Matriculation School, Muthuanickenpatti.
- Wistom Gates Matriculation School, Kottaimariammankoil
- St. Joseph Matriculation School, Pagalpatti
- John Britto Matriculation School, Kamalapuram
- Govt Higher secondary school, Periyapatty, semmandapatty village
- Govt Higher secondary school, Pannapatty
- Govt Higher secondary school, muthu Naikken Patty
- Govt Higher secondary school, Vellalappatti
- Govt Higher secondary school, Mattukkaranur
- Panchayat Union Primary School,Kamalapuram
- Panchayat Union Middle School, Saminayakanpatty
- Panchayat Union Middle School, Thathaiyengarpatty,(Senkaradu)@(redhills)
- Green Home (earlier National) Matriculation Higher Secondary School, National nagar, Omalur
- A.M Public School, Naduppatti
- B V M Global (CBSE) school,Pagalpatti
- Omalur town colleges and Universities
- Government Engineering College, Salem (Autonomous)(Anna University,Chennai)
- Periyar University at Omalur town 3 km. Omalur (TK)
- Dhirajlal gandhi college of technology,Opp. Salem Airport,Sikanampatty,Omalur, Salem.Affiliated to ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI.
- Narusu's Sarathy Institute of Technology, Poosaripatti at Omalur town 6 km. Omalur (TK)Affiliated to ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI.
- Padmavani Arts & Science College (near Periyar University) at Omalur town 3 km. Omalur (TK)
- Balakrishna Polytechnic College at Omalur town 4 km. Omalur (TK)
- DPC Polytechnic College at Omalur town 6 km. Omalur (TK)
|This section does not cite any sources. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Thathaiyengarpatty (It's a very beautiful village sugar cane and rice are the crops)
- Pudhu Nallagoundampatty - Nearby Government Engineering College
- Anaigoundampatty - OPP - Government Engineering College
- Saminayakanpatty -
- Amman Kovil Patty
- M. Chttipatty
- Jodukuli - Has a very old and famous Anjinayar temple
- Kottalur pudur
- K. R. Thoppur
- Perumal Kovil
- Koottaimariamman Kovil
- Karuppadk; Patty
- Chinthamanyur(Hand loom and power loom is the major work in this village.This is growing like a city .)
- Mullai Nagar
- Mulli Chettipatti
- Maragoundan Pudur
- selva nagar
- Periavadagampatti-Even though it is under the name of Danishpet panchat, all the facilities are available in this Periavadagampatti village only.
- Danishpet- The main occupation is agriculture. It has two lakes. Danishpet Railway Station falls on the Tiruppattur-Salem rail route. It is under the administrative control of the Southern Railways. The nearest major railhead, Salem Junction Railway Station is 24 km away.
- SATTUR <is the most popular village at omalur taluk,sri durkkaliammaman Temple located at sattur,
Government offices In Omalur
- Taluk Office - Omalur to Mettur Via.
- Union Office - Near Taluk Office.
- RTO Office(TN-30Y-UO) - Omalur to Tharamangalam Via.
- Police Station - via Omalur to Mettur (Between Taluk office & Government hospital).
- Women Police Station - via Omalur to Mettur (Between Taluk office & Government hospital).
- Sub Register Office - Near Omalur GH.
- Sub Treasury Office - Near Taluk Office
- Combained Court - Near Taluk office.
- Salem Air Port - Kamalapuram, Omalur to Banglore Main Road.
- Southern Railway Station, Omalur.
- BSNL Telecommunications office - situated towards Taluk office.
- LIC office - in Dharmapuri main road.
Banks in Omalur
- State Bank of India - Pb No.1 5/8 Mettur Main Road Omalur, Tamil Nadu 636455
Pincode - 636455
- Axis Bank - Ayyammal Complex, Panchukallipatti, Anna Nagar, Omalur 636455, Omalur, Tamil Nadu 636455
- INDIAN BANK, OMALUR BRANCH, IFSC Code: IDIB000O008, DHARMAPURI MAIN ROAD, OMALUR, SALEM DIST. PIN 636455
- Indian Oversees Bank - DOOR NO.16 I UDAYAR COMPLEX BUS STAND OMALUR SALEM DT. TAMILNADU Pincode 636 455
Pincode - 636 455
- SOUTH INDIAN BANK, Branch ID: 000601, IFSC Code: SIBL0000601, SY. NO 239/11. OPP TO SALEM DISTRICT CENTRAL COOPERATIVE BANK, DHARMAPURI ROAD OMALLUR, SALEM DIST. TAMILNADU 63601
- Tamilnad mercantile bank ltd,omalur to mettur via,
- INDUSIND BANK LTD., INDUSIND OMALUR BRANCH,IFSC Code: INDB0000327, 26 METTUR MAIN ROAD, PPS COMPLEX, OMALUR, 636 455
- Canara Bank Omalur, IFSC CODE - CNRB0004373, 6481 11th Ward Mettur Main Road Omalur Tamil Nadu 636455
- Karur Vysya Bank, IFSC: KVBL0001757, Branch code: 001757, DHARMAPURI MAIN ROAD, NEAR BUS STAND,WARD NO.1 Contact: 022-22665914, 022-22556467
- IDBI BANK LTD - OMALUR is located at TAMIL NADU state, OMALUR district, SALEM city and the bank branch's address is [145,DHARMAPURI MAIN ROAD,OMALUR 636455]. Contact phone number / numbers - 222251. The IFSC Code is IBKL0001908. Branch code is the last six characters of the IFSC Code - 001908.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Omalur
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-02-06.
- "IndusInd Bank Omalur IFSC Code". Retrieved 2015-06-11.
- "Canara Bank Omalur IFSC Code". Retrieved 2015-06-11.