Order of the Nile
|Order of the Nile
Kiladat El Nil
Medal of the Order of the Nile
|Awarded by Egypt|
|Awarded for||Exceptionally valuable public service to Egypt|
Reconstituted under the Republic
18 June 1953
|Next (higher)||Order of Ismail|
|Next (lower)||Order of the Republic (Egypt)|
Ribbon bar for Grand Cordon
Ribbon bar for Grand Officer
Ribbon bar for Commander
Ribbon bar for Officer
Ribbon bar for Knight
The Order of the Nile (Kiladat El Nil) is Egypt's highest state honor. The award was instituted in 1915 by Sultan Hussein Kamel to be awarded by Egypt for exceptional services to the nation. It was reconstituted under the Arab Republic of Egypt on 18 June 1953.
It consists of the Grand Cordon, plus a Collar which is worn by the President of the Republic and may be granted to other Heads of State. Although the junior grades (Grand Officer, Commander, Officer and Knight) were originally documented, they are not believed to still be awarded and may have been abolished. In the Kingdom of Egypt the Order of the Nile ranked beneath the Order of Ismail.
Some appointees to the order
- Peter Acland
- Yuri Gagarin
- George Francis Scott Elliot
- Dr Hubert William Milligan, Royal Army Medical Corps,(4th Order) 7 March 1917
- Emperor Akihito of Japan
- King Idris of Libya – Grand Cordon
- Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia
- Richard Bevan (4th Class), 1919
- Louis Bols (1867–1930)
- Nelson Mandela
- Harold Knox-Shaw
- Earl Mountbatten of Burma, (fourth class) 1922
- Charles Paget, 6th Marquess of Anglesey, 1915
- General Sir Reginald Wingate, 1915
- Naguib Pasha Mahfouz, 1919
- Lancelot Lowther, 6th Earl of Lonsdale, 1920
- Lieutenant Colonel Sir Norman Seddon-Brown, 1927
- Marshal Josip Broz Tito, Yugoslav President, Grand Cordon with Collar (December 28, 1955)
- Heinrich Rau (Grand Cordon), 1961
- Walter Ulbricht, East-German president, 1965
- Queen Elizabeth II (November 6, 1975)
- Sultan Qaboos bin Said al Said of Oman 1976
- Émile Lahoud, president of Lebanon (2000)
- Suharto, president of Indonesia
- Makarios III, former president of Cyprus
- George Vasiliou, former president of Cyprus
- Major-General Sir Charlton Watson Spinks, last Sirdar of Egypt
- Professor Ahmed Zewail
- William E. Simon
- William Birdwood, 1st Baron Birdwood
- Amha Selassie of Ethiopia
- General William Peyton (second class), 1916
- Eric Gascoigne Robinson
- Aubrey Faulkner
- Cecil L'Estrange Malone
- Jagatjit Singh Bahadur (Grand Cordon)
- John Percival, Egyptian Civil Service
- Mervyn Whitfield, Political Branch, Public Security, Alexandria 1917
- Hussein Refki Pasha (Grand Cordon)
- Maurice Amos (Grand Cordon)
- Youssef Zulficar Pasha (Grand Cordon)
- Alexander Kearsey (3rd class)
- His Holiness Dr. Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (Grand Cordon)
- Muhammad Naguib, First President of Egypt 1952 to 1953)after the end of Monarchy
- Ziaur Rahman, President of Bangladesh
- Mohammed VI, King of Morocco.
- Hassaballah El Kafrawy, Egyptian former of Development, Reconstruction, Housing,New Communities, Public Utilities and Land Reclamation (1977–1993)
- Sir Magdi Habib Yacoub, Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, Egyptian Field Marshal, former Chairman of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces of Egypt, August 2012.
- Mohamed ElBaradei, He was the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) from December 1997 to November 2009.
- Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu [ˈihsɑnoːlu] ( listen) a Turkish academic, diplomat and currently the Secretary-General of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), the second largest intergovernmental organisation after the United Nations.
- Pierre Gemayel, Founder of the Lebanese Phalange
- Adly Mansour, acting president of Egypt from the 2013 Egyptian coup d'état until the swearing in of Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
- King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia
- Nursultan Nazarbayev, President of Kazakhstan
- "Order of the Nile: University of Glasgow Story, First World War Roll of Honour, Decorations & Awards". Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- "Republic of Egypt: Order of the Nile". Medals of the World. 8 February 2008. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- "Baldwin's Auction 67 & 68" (PDF). Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "The Al-Busaid Dynasty". Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- The Edinburgh Gazette: . 14 April 1931. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "Mohamed ElBaradei". Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- US Department of State. "Special Envoy to the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC)". Archived from the original on March 5, 2012. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Amin Gemayel to March 14: Keep Out of Syria". Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "Sisi offers Mansour Order of the Nile". Egypt Independent. Egypt Independent. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- President Nursultan Nazarbayev arrived in Egyptian Sharm El Sheikh to take part in the World Economic Forum on the Middle East. — Official site of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Media related to Orders of Egypt at Wikimedia Commons