Bangladeshi honours system
The existing Bangladeshi honours system was created after Independence of Bangladesh. The most recognized civil awards are Ekushey Padak and Independence Day Award. They are awarded every year. The awards are civilian awards for a broad set of achievements in fields such as Education, Arts, Civil Service, or Social Service and Liberation War . Awards were also bestowed posthumously and they are not given for foreign citizens.
The most recognized and respectfull gallantry awards are the Bir (Bengali: বীর) awards which are Bir Sreshtho, Bir Uttom, Bir Bikrom and Bir Protik in decreasing order of importance. They are awarded to freedom fighters who showed utmost bravery and fought against the Pakistan Army in the Bangladesh Liberation War. All of these awards were introduced immediately after the Liberation War in 1971.
- 1 Civil decorations
- 2 Military Decorations
- 3 Special Decorations (For non-nationals)
- 4 Police Medals
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- Independence Day Award; the highest civilian award
- Ekushey Padak; the second-highest civilian award
- Bangla Academy Award, for contribution in the field of Bengali language and literature.
- Shishu Academy Award, for contribution in the field of juvenile literature.
- National Professor; for outstanding contribution on the field of education.
- Shilpakala Padak; for contributions to the fields of Bangladeshi arts, theater, music, dance, instrumental music, folk music and film.
- Begum Rokeya Padak; for contribution to Gender equality and Women's rights.
- National Agriculture Awards; given to recognise a substantial contribution in the field of research in agricultural development.
- National Film Awards; for notable contributions to the promotion of the art of cinema.
- National Sports Awards; for specific contributions in the field of games and sports.
- National Family Planning Awards
- National Child Award
- National Youth Awards
- National Cooperative Award
- President's Award for Industrial Development
- National Environment Award
- Public Administration Award
Wartime gallantry awards
- Bir Sreshtho-(Bengali: বীরশ্রেষ্ঠ; literally, "The Most Valiant Hero"), the highest gallantry award
- Bir Uttom- (Bengali: বীর উত্তম; literally, "Better among Braves"), the second highest gallantry award
- Bir Bikrom- (Bengali: বীর বিক্রম; literally, "Valiant hero"), the third highest gallantry award
- Bir Protik- (Bengali: বীর প্রতীক; literally, "Symbol of Bravery or Idol of Courage"), the fourth highest gallantry award
Peacetime gallantry awards
- Bir Sorbottam-(Bengali: বীর সর্বোত্তম; literally, "The Foremost Braves"), the highest gallantry award
- Bir Mrittunjoee- (Bengali: বীর মৃত্যুঞ্জয়ী; literally, "The Immortal Braves"), the second highest gallantry award
- Bir Chiranjib- (Bengali: বীর চিরঞ্জীব; literally, " The Incorruptible Braves"), the third highest gallantry award
- Bir Durjoy- (Bengali: বীর দুর্জয়; literally, "The Indomitable Braves"), the fourth highest
Distinguished service awards
- Order of Military Merit
- Extraordinary Service Medal
- Distinguished Service Medal
Army service Medals
Long service awards
- Jestha Padak I (10 years service)
- Jestha Padak II (20 years service)
- Jestha Padak III (30 years service)
Special Decorations (For non-nationals)
- Bangladesh Freedom Honour -(Bengali: বাংলাদেশ স্বাধীনতা সম্মাননা); the highest award for foreigners or non nationals,
- Bangladesh Liberation War Honour -(Bengali: বাংলাদেশ মুক্তিযুদ্ধ সম্মাননা); the second highest award for foreigners or non nationals
- Friends of Liberation War Honour -(Bengali: মুক্তিযুদ্ধ মৈত্রী সম্মাননা); the third highest award for foreigners or non nationals
Police medals are awarded every year in the annual Police Week Parade. They are awarded both for bravery and service.
Bangladesh Police Medal (BPM)
- Bangladesh Police Medal - Gallantry (BPM-Bīratto)
- Bangladesh Police Medal (BPM)
- Bangladesh Police Medal - Service (BPM-Seba)
President Police Medal (PPM)
- Military awards and decorations of Bangladesh
- Awards and decorations of the Bangladesh Liberation War
- Khan, Sanjida (2012). "National Awards". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Order about National Professor" (in Bengali). Ministry of Education (Bangladesh). 2011-06-15.
- "Order about National Awards" (PDF) (in Bengali). Cabinet Divisions. 2011-06-15.
- "PM gives away national sports awards". bdnews24.com. 2015-02-24.
- Bangladesh Ribbon Chart
- http://www.medals.org.uk/bangladesh/bangladesh-text.htm Text List of Ribbons
- http://www.jeanpaulleblanc.com/Bangladesh.htm Orders, Decorations and Medals of Bangladesh
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-07-01. Retrieved 2014-07-14. Army Medal Lists: Official
- http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/asia/bangladesh.gif Asian Medals: Bangladesh
- Haroon Habib (25 July 2011). "Bangladesh honours Indira Gandhi with highest award". The Hindu.
- B’desh honours foreign friends, VOL 20 NO 339 REGD NO DA 1589; Dhaka, Wednesday 28 March 2012, The Financial Express