Palmerston North Girls' High School
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2014)|
|Palmerston North Girls' High School
Te Kura Kōhine o Papaioea
Palmerston North 4410
|Type||Single-sex Secondary School for Girls' (Year 9-13)|
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||203|
|School roll||1282 (March 2015)|
The main entrance of the school is located on Fitzherbert Avenue, near the Victoria Esplanade. Adjacent to the north is Huia Street and tennis courts. Behind the school is Manawaroa-Ongley Park.
In 1902, Palmerston North High School was a co-ed secondary school created with an initial roll of 84 students. (40 boys and 44 girls). The first classes were held at St Andrews Presbyterian Church Sunday School hall.
In 1912, Palmerston North High School was split into two single-sex schools: PNGHS and PNBHS.
At the September 2010 Education Review Office (ERO) review, Palmerston North Girls' High School had 1202 students enrolled, including 22 international students. Sixty-four percent of students identified as New Zealand European (Pākehā), 17 percent identified as Māori, three percent as Pacific Islanders, and 16 percent as another ethnicity.
Palmerston North Girls' High School has a socio-economic decile of 8 (step P), meaning it draws its school community from areas of moderately-low socioeconomic disadvantage when compared to other New Zealand schools. This changed from decile 9 (step Q) at the beginning of 2015, as part of the nationwide review of deciles following the 2013 census.
- Rita Angus - Painter
- Hannah Broederlow - New Zealand netball player
- Jessica Clarke - New Zealand model
- Joy Cowley - Writer
- Rebecca Hull - New Zealand Women's rugby union player
- Anna Leese - Opera singer
- Liana Leota - New Zealand netball player
- Emily Naylor - New Zealand Women's Black Sticks (Hockey)
- Kayla Sharland - New Zealand Women's Black Sticks (Hockey)
- "Directory of Schools - as at 7 April 2015". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- "Decile Change 2014 to 2015 for State & State Integrated Schools". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Palmerston North Girls' High School Education Review". Education Review Office. 3 December 2010. Retrieved 9 March 2015.