Prince of Wales' Division
|Arms of the British Army|
|Combat Support Arms|
Under the restructuring announced in 2004, the Prince of Wales's Division was reorganised into two large regiments:
- Royal Welsh - formed on 1 March 2006 by amalgamation of the 1st Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers, 1st Battalion, Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot) and the Royal Welsh Regiment.
- Mercian Regiment - formed on 1 September 2007 by amalgamation of the 1st Battalion, 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment, 1st Battalion, Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29th/45th Foot), 1st Battalion, Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's) and the West Midlands Regiment. In 2014 the Royal Irish Regiment joined the division. The Division comprised the following infantry battalions:
- Regular Army Units
- Army Reserve Units
- 4th Battalion, the Mercian Regiment
- 3rd Battalion, the Royal Welsh
- 2nd Battalion, the Royal Irish Regiment
The Division maintained a regular army band, The Band of The Prince of Wales Division through the amalgamation of the two former divisional bands, the Clive Band and the Lucknow Band.
Under the Army 2020 reorganisation, the 3rd Battalion, Mercian Regiment (Staffords) and the 2nd Battalion, Royal Welsh (Royal Regiment of Wales) will both be disbanded, while the Royal Irish Regiment (27th (Inniskilling), 83rd, 87th and Ulster Defence Regiment) will be transferred to the administration of the Prince of Wales' Division.
Past units include:
- 1st Battalion, The 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment - (1688-2007)
- 1st Battalion, The Royal Welch Fusiliers - (1689-2006)
- 1st Battalion, The South Wales Borderers - (1689-1969)
- 1st Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment - (1881-1994)
- 1st Battalion, The Worcestershire Regiment - (1881-1970)
- 1st Battalion, The Royal Hampshire Regiment - (1881-1992)
- 1st Battalion, The Welch Regiment - (1881-1969)
- 1st Battalion, The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment) - (1881-1970)
- 1st Battalion, The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment - (1958-2005)
- 1st Battalion, The Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire and Wiltshire) - (1959-1994)
- 1st Battalion, The Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's) - (1959-2007)
- 1st Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot) - (1969-2006)
- 1st Battalion, The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29th/45th Foot) - (1970-2007)
- 1st Battalion, The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment - (1994-2005)
- 2nd Battalion, The Royal Welsh - (2006-2014)
- 3rd Battlaion, The Mercian Regiment - (2007-2014)
- "The 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment". Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Future Structure of the Army". Ministry of Defence. 16 December 2004. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Heyman, p. 89
- "The Band of The Prince of Wales's Division". Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Army 2020 announcement". British Army. 5 July 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- Whitaker's Almanack 1969
- Heyman, Charles (2012). The British Army: A Pocket Guide, 2012-2013. Pen & Sword.