Rae Kushner Yeshiva High School
|Rae Kushner Yeshiva High School|
110 South Orange Avenue
|Type||Private Yeshiva High School|
|Headmaster||Rabbi Eliezer Rubin|
|Language||English and Hebrew|
|Hours in school day||9 hours Monday-Thursday, 5 1/2 Friday|
|Color(s)||Light Blue, Navy, Royal Blue, White and Orange|
|Team name||Kushner Cobras|
|Accreditation||New Jersey Association of Independent Schools|
|Communities served||Livingston, West Orange, East Brunswick, Highland Park, Edison, Staten Island, Elizabeth, Hillside, Springfield, Lakewood|
|Feeder schools||JKHA, RPRY, JFS, JEC|
|Affiliation||Modern Orthodox Judaism, Zionism|
Rae Kushner Yeshiva High School / Yeshivat HaTichonit Beit Yosef is a four-year private Modern Orthodox yeshiva high school located in Livingston, New Jersey, United States. The school serves students living in areas ranging from Livingston, West Orange, East Brunswick, Highland Park/Edison, Staten Island, Elizabeth and Union County. The affiliated Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy serves students through eighth grade. As of the 2013–14 school year, the school had an enrollment of 236 students.
The earliest predecessor to the Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy was founded in 1942. In a merger with four Talmud Torahs in 1948, the school started its evolution into a Jewish day school. From the original seven students, the school grew to approximately 400 students in its building on Clinton Avenue, Newark. In 1987, the school became the Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy and moved to Livingston in 1996.
The Kushner Yeshiva High School opened its doors in 2000 with 57 freshman students, a comparatively large enrollment for a new Yeshiva High School. Kushner Yeshiva High School was renamed to the Rae Kushner Yeshiva High School, in memory of the wife of Joseph Kushner, by their son Charles Kushner, one of the school's primary benefactors.
The school is situated on a 30-acre (120,000 m2) campus that features a 225,000-square-foot (20,900 m2) building includes a 20,000-volume English-Judaic library, a 220-seat Beit Midrash, a 600-seat auditorium, Holocaust Memorial Gardens, Holocaust studies center, hockey rink, and a multipurpose gymnasium.
The school houses a program of the SINAI Special Needs Institute, also known as SINAI Schools, an organization dedicated to serving the educational, psychological and emotional needs of children with special needs or complex learning disabilities. Children of below to above average intelligence with different degrees of learning disability, with a wide variety of behavioral characteristics are served, whose needs could not be addressed by traditional Jewish day school programs and curricula.
Core members of the school's administration are
- Rabbi Eliezer Rubin - Head of School, Klatt Family Rosh Hayeshiva
- Howard Plotsker - Associate Principal
- Gary Berger - Assistant Principal, Guidance and Student Services
- Jeremy Halpern and Dov Lando - co-presidents
- Schedule of Fees 2017-2018, Rae Kushner Yeshiva High School. Accessed November 5, 2017.
- School Data for Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy Rae Kushner Yeshiva, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 8, 2015.
- Clark, Katherine. "Charlie Kushner's redemption; After a stint in prison and years in the shadows, the developer is regaining his stature thanks to his son’s meteoric rise to the White House", The Real Deal (magazine), February 1, 2017. Accessed November 9, 2018. "He built two Modern Orthodox schools in Livingston named after his parents: the Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy and the Rae Kushner Yeshiva High School."
- "Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy/Rae Kushner Yeshiva High School". www.jkha.org. Retrieved April 14, 2019.
- Staff, NJJN. "Kushner campus enhanced by major capital projects". njjewishnews.timesofisrael.com. Retrieved May 19, 2019.