Saint Vincent Academy
|Saint Vincent Academy|
228 West Market Street
|Motto||Classmate by Chance, Sister by Choice|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic Church|
|Founder||Sisters of Charity|
|Sister school||Saint Benedict's Preparatory School|
|Administrative Director||Sister June Favata|
|Enrollment||289 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.3:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Catholic Girls League; Super Essex Conference (2009)|
|Team name||Lady Panthers|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Publication||Expressions (literary magazine)|
|Athletic Director||Carol Alm|
Saint Vincent Academy (SVA), is a four-year, Catholic, college preparatory school for women located on West Market Street in Newark, New Jersey, United States. It operates under the supervision of the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary School since 1990.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 289 students and 28.1 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.3:1. The school's student body was 60.9% White, 25.6% Hispanic, 4.2% Black, 3.8% Asian and 5.5% two or more races.
The academy was founded in 1869 by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, and named for St. Vincent de Paul. Saint Vincent Academy currently holds the distinction of being the only private high school for women in the city of Newark in New Jersey. The current administrative team consists of Sister June Favata, S.C. Sr. Margaret Killough, S.C., and Ms. Mary F. Nolan. This school has one of the highest graduation rates of any school in Newark and Essex County. Down the street from Saint Vincent Academy is Science Park High School, Essex County College, History High, Saint Benedict's Preparatory School and next to that school is Arts High.
The Saint Vincent Academy Panthers compete in the Super Essex Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA).
- School data for St Vincent Academy, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 20, 2017.
- Saint Vincent Academy, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 13, 2017.
- Saint Vincent Academy, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed March 18, 2012.
- Tuition, Saint Vincent Academy. Accessed November 6, 2017.
- Essex County Catholic High Schools, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. Accessed August 13, 2017.
- SVA. "Saint Vincent Academy-About Us". Saint Vincent Academy website. Archived from the original on 2007-03-04. Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017 Archived 2012-11-09 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.