Irvington High School (New Jersey)
|Irvington High School|
|1253 Clinton Avenue
Irvington, NJ 07111
|Type||public high school|
|School district||Irvington Public Schools|
|Asst. principals||John Amberg
Sean C. Evans
|Enrollment||1,391 (as of 2014–15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.4:1|
Navy blue and|
|Athletics conference||Super Essex Conference|
|Team name||Blue Knights|
Irvington High School: Frank H. Morrell Campus is a four-year comprehensive community public high school in Irvington, in Essex County, New Jersey, United States, that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades, as the lone secondary school of the Irvington Public Schools. IHS has three main floors and a basement, with each floor holding up to 23 classrooms. A west wing of the building was erected in the 1980s.
As of the 2014–15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,391 students and 112.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.4:1. There were 925 students (66.5% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 99 (7.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 331st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 309th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 287th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 307th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was bottom-ranked, 316th, in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Irvington High School Blue Knights compete in the Super Essex Conference, which consists of public and private high schools in Essex County and operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 1,062 students in grades 10–12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015–16 school year as North II, Group III for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 778 to 1,062 students in that grade range. Prior to the 2010 reorganization, the school had competed in the Watchung Conference, which consisted of public and private high schools in Essex County, Hudson County and Union County in northern New Jersey.
The girls' basketball team won the Group IV state championship in 1985 (defeating Washington Township High School in the tournament final) and 1986 (vs. Hightstown High School; the boys' team won the Group IV title (vs. Shawnee High School).
The boys' track team won the Group III indoor relay state championship in 2009 (as co-champion with West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North) and the girls' track team won the Group III title in 2012 (also as co-champion with West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North).
Irvington High School's administrative staff consists of:
- Mary Machialadis, Principal
- John Amberg, Assistant Principal
- Sean C. Evans, Assistant Principal
- Asnage Castelly (born 1979, class of 1998), wrestler competing for Haiti at the 2016 Summer Olympics
- Josh Evans (born 1991, class of 2009), safety for the Jacksonville Jaguars
- Queen Latifah (born 1970), singer and actress
- Jerry Lewis (born 1926), actor and comedian
- Raheem Morris (born 1976, class of 1994), former head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and assistant coach for the Washington Redskins
- Nate Robinson (born 1985, class of 2003), American football defensive lineman
- Alshermond Singleton (born 1975), former American football linebacker who played ten seasons in the NFL for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dallas Cowboys.
- School data for Irvington High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Irvington High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 12, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 2, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016 Archived 2015-12-16 at the Wayback Machine., New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 27, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Home Page, Watchung Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive as of February 7, 2011. Accessed December 16, 2014.
- Public Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Indoor Relay Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 17, 2016.
- Staff, Irvington High School. Accessed August 12, 2015.
- Evans, Bill. "Rio 2016: N.J. native to wrestle for Haiti, carry flag in Olympics Opening Ceremony", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, August 3, 2016. Accessed August 12, 2016. "Castelly moved to New Jersey from Haiti when he was 9 years old and he competed for Irvington High School.... He also played football and ran track for Irvington. After graduating from Irvington in 1998, he went on to wrestle for Division II American International in Springfield, Mass."
- Ragozzino, Joe. "Irvington's Josh Evans hopes to get picked in the NFL Draft", Essex News Daily, April 16, 2013. "Irvington's Josh Evans is hoping to get his name called during the National Football League Draft, which starts Thursday, April 25, and runs through April 27. Evans, a 2009 Irvington High School graduate, completed his collegiate career at the University of Florida."
- Staff. Queen Latifah, Gale (publisher). Accessed February 2, 2011. "She added popular music, especially rap, to her repertoire around the time she entered Irvington High School, where she also played power forward on her school's championship basketball team."
- Staff. "Jerry Lewis' Old-Time 'Thing' Now Setting Pace In Movies", The Calgary Herald, June 26, 1970. Accessed February 2, 2011. "In today's vernacular, he has been 'letting it all hang out' ever since he was a cheerleader at Irvington (New Jersey) High School."
- Gelb, Matt. Irvington High alum and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris honored in return to hometown", The Star-Ledger, June 5, 2009. Accessed May 11, 2013. "Morris, a 1994 Irvington High graduate, made his first trip back to his hometown since being hired by the Buccaneers Jan. 17."
- "Irvington grad Nate Robinson headed to Giants". NJ.com. April 28, 2008.
- Lamberti, Mike. "Football: Passaic Valley's new coach adds assistants to his staff", The Record (Bergen County), March 20, 2015. Accessed May 27, 2016. "Singleton and Parlavecchio go back some 20 years, when Parlavecchio coached Singleton at Irvington High School in 1991 and 1992."
- Al Singleton, databaseFootball.com. Accessed May 27, 2016.
- Irvington High School
- Irvington Public Schools
- Irvington Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Irvington Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics