Location of Ranua in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Kimmo Sarapää|
|• Total||3,694.79 km2 (1,426.57 sq mi)|
|• Land||3,453.73 km2 (1,333.49 sq mi)|
|• Water||241.09 km2 (93.09 sq mi)|
|Area rank||14th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||201st largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.13/km2 (2.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||20.6%|
|• 15 to 64||60.5%|
|• 65 or older||18.9%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.25%|
It is located in the province of Lapland. The municipality has a population of 3,898 (31 August 2018) and covers an area of 3,694.79 square kilometres (1,426.57 sq mi) of which 241.09 km2 (93.09 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.13 inhabitants per square kilometre (2.9/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Villages within the municipality of Ranua are inclusive of Asmunti, Hosio, Impiö, Kelankylä, Kortteenperä, Kuha, Kuukasjärvi, Mauru, Nuupas, Petäjäjärvi, Pohjaslahti–Piittisjärvi, Portimo, Putkivaara, Raiskio, Rovastinaho, Saariharju, Saukkojärvi, Sääskilahti, Teerivaara, Telkkälä and Tolja.
Nature of Ranua
Perhaps the most well known attraction is the Ranua Zoo, which has many arctic animals, including the polar bear, which is the mascot of the zoo. Ranua Zoo is the only place where you can see a living polar bear in Finland.
Other notable attractions within the municipality of Ranua are inclusive of the Saukkojärvi Local History and School Museum located in the village of Saukkojärvi, Finland, the Hillamarkkinat, Poro Island and the Church of Ranua.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku kuukausittain sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, elokuu 2018" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- The number of lakes in Ranua. Jarviwiki.
- Media related to Ranua at Wikimedia Commons
- Ranua travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipality of Ranua – Official website
|This Lapland (Finland) location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|