|Richard Gus Seeborg|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California|
Assumed office |
January 4, 2010
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Maxine M. Chesney|
|Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California|
February 9, 2001 – January 4, 2010
Richard Gus Seeborg|
November 4, 1956
Landstuhl, West Germany
|Residence||San Francisco, California|
Yale University (B.A.)|
Columbia Law School (J.D.)
Richard Gus Seeborg (born November 4, 1956) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. He formally served as a United States Magistrate Judge in the same district.
Early life and education
Born in Landstuhl, Germany, Seeborg earned an Bachelors of Arts in history summa cum laude from Yale University in May 1978 and then earned a Juris Doctor from Columbia Law School in 1981. From 1981 until 1982, Seeborg served as a law clerk to United States District Judge John H. Pratt.
In 1982, Seeborg joined the law firm of Morrison & Foerster. He became a partner with the firm in 1987. In 1991, Seeborg left Morrison & Foerster to become an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of California in San Jose, California. He served in that post until 1998, when he returned to Morrison & Foerster, working as a partner and focusing on a litigation practice in the fields of securities, intellectual property and general commercial matters.
Work as a magistrate judge
On February 9, 2001, Seeborg became a United States magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
Federal judicial service
On August 7, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated Seeborg to be a United States district judge on the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. On October 15, 2009, the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary voted to send Seeborg's nomination to the full Senate. The Senate confirmed Seeborg by unanimous consent on December 24, 2009. He received his commission on January 4, 2010.
- MyLife.com profile
- "Hon. Richard G. Seeborg". www.legalspan.com.
- "Seeborg, Richard G. - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- President Obama Nominates Edward Milton Chen, Dolly Gee and Richard Seeborg to Serve on the District Court Bench Archived 2009-09-01 at the Wayback Machine., whitehouse.gov (August 7, 2009).
- Mintz, Howard (October 17, 2009). "Senate Judiciary Committee votes to confirm two Bay Area federal judge nominees". Contra Costa Times.
- Richard Seeborg at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Richard Seeborg at Ballotpedia
Maxine M. Chesney
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California