Saddle Brook High/Middle School
|Saddle Brook High / Middle School|
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Saddle Brook Public Schools|
|Enrollment||799 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.1:1|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
Saddle Brook High / Middle School is a six-year comprehensive community public high school that serves students in seventh through twelfth grades from Saddle Brook, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Saddle Brook Public Schools.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 799 students and 66.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.1:1. There were 120 students (15.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 29 (3.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 205th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 153rd in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 170th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 142nd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 191st in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Saddle Brook High School Falcons compete in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference (NJIC), made up of private and public high schools located in Bergen County, Hudson County and Passaic County, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 371 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North I, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 187 to 490 students in that grade range. Prior to realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, Saddle Brook was a member of the smaller Bergen-Passaic Scholastic League (BPSL).
Interscholastic sports teams offered at Saddle Brook include football, boys soccer, girls soccer, cross country boys and girls, boys basketball, girls basketball, wrestling, winter track boys and girls, spring track boys and girls, baseball, softball and girls tennis.
The boys' indoor track team won the Group I and II indoor relay title in 1973 (as co-champion with Metuchen High School), won the Group II title in 1976, and won the Group I title in 1987 and 1991; the girls' track team won the Group I championship in 1983 and 1992.
The girls' cross country team won the Group II state championship in 1976 and 1978.
The wrestling team won the North I Group II state sectional championship in 1981.
The softball team won the North I, Group I state sectional championships in 1998 and 2000, 2002, 2005, 2009 and won again in 2013 with a 5-0 victory over New Milford High School in the tournament finals. The softball team has had 16 consecutive 20-game win seasons. The team won the BPSL Carpenter Division title in 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2009 and in 2008 made it to the final in the county tournament as the only group I school left in the tournament.
Saddle Brook's track and field team won the 2005 indoor and outdoor Group I NJSIAA state track championships led by Coach Howard Schuman. The boys team has won winter track (indoor) titles in Group II in both 1975 and 1976, and in Group I in 1991, 2004 and 2005.
Under Head Coach Darren White, the Saddle Brook High football team saw a resurgence in its program from 1999 to 2003. In those years the Falcons reached the state playoffs in five consecutive seasons, after years where the team had finished with records of 0-10 and 1-9.
The principal is Brenda Coffey.
- Steve Beauharnais (born 1990), defensive linebacker for the New England Patriots who transferred out of the high school before his senior year.
- Steve Longa (born 1994), linebacker for the Detroit Lions of the NFL.
- Steve Maneri (born 1988), tight end who played in the NFL for the Chicago Bears.
- School data for Saddle Brook Middle/High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Saddle Brook High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 24, 2017.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 11, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 18, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 22, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed November 23, 2014.
- History of the NJSIAA Indoor Relay Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 23, 2017.
- 2016 NJSIAA Group Cross Country Championships Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 24, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 24, 2017.
- 2002 Softball Tournament - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 24, 2007.
- Baumuller, J. C. "Saddle Brook beats New Milford in the North 1, Group 1 softball final", Twin-Boro News, June 2, 2013. Accessed December 15, 2013. "Saddle Brook players congratulate junior pitcher Danielle Archibold, right, after their 5-0 win over New Milford in the North 1, Group 1 sectional final."
- 2005 NJSIAA/Star Ledger Gr I Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, February 20, 2005. Accessed August 15, 2012.
- 2005 NJSIAA/The Star-Ledger BOYS and GIRLS State Group Track and Field Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, June 4, 2005. Accessed August 15, 2012.
- History of NJSIAA Indoor Group Champions Archived 2012-12-22 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 15, 2012.
- "Brenda Coffey-Principal". www.sbpsnj.org. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- Vrentas, jenny. "NFL Draft: Rutgers' Steve Beauharnais ready to jump from under-the-radar prospect to NFL", The Star-Ledger, April 21, 2013. Accessed April 28, 2013. "Beauharnais had already earned a scholarship to Rutgers while playing for Saddle Brook High School, so Karcich was surprised to learn the teen planned to enroll in the private school in Montvale for his senior year.... Beauharnais was part of St. Joseph's Non-Public Group III state title that season."
- Duggan, Dan. "How Steve Longa transformed from African soccer star to NFL prospect", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, April 30, 2016. Accessed October 10, 2016. "The family settled in Saddle Brook, N.J., and Longa initially continued to pursue his first passion: Soccer. But Leo Ciappina, a teacher at Saddle Brook High/Middle School, had other ideas for the athletic newcomer."
- Tatum, Kevin. "Owls football gains 3 more commitments", The Philadelphia Inquirer, January 19, 2006. Accessed December 13, 2012. "The latest players to cast their lots with Temple are third-team all-state linebacker Andre Neblett of Rahway High (N.J.), tight end Steve Maneri of Saddle Brook High (N.J.), and offensive lineman John Palumbo of Queen of Peace in North Arlington, N.J."