Salem Media Group
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2022)
|Nasdaq: SALM (Class A)|
Russell Microcap Index component
Commercial radio broadcasting
|Genre||Radio broadcasting, publishing, internet content provider|
Edward Atsinger III
6400 N Beltline Road,
|Revenue||$262.78 million (2018)|
Number of employees
Salem Media Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: SALM; formerly Salem Communications Corporation) is an American radio broadcaster, Internet content provider, and magazine and book publisher formerly based in Camarillo, California (moved most operations to Irving, Texas in early 2021), targeting audiences interested in Christian values and what it describes as "family-themed content and conservative values." In addition to its radio properties, the company owns Salem Radio Network, which syndicates talk, news and music programing to approximately 2,400 affiliates; Salem Media Representatives, a radio advertising company; Salem Web Network, an Internet provider of Christian content and online streaming with over 100 Christian content and conservative opinion websites; and Salem Publishing, a publisher of Christian themed magazines. Salem owns 117 radio stations in 38 markets, including 60 stations in the top 25 markets and 29 in the top 10, making it tied with Audacy for fifth-largest radio broadcaster. FamilyTalk is a Christian-themed talk format on Sirius XM Radio Channel 131. Additionally, Salem owns conservative websites Townhall.com, RedState, Hot Air, and PJ Media, as well as Twitter aggregator Twitchy.
The company was founded by brothers-in-law Stuart Epperson and Edward G. Atsinger III and, unlike many Christian broadcasters, is a for-profit corporation. This allows it to buy stations in the commercial radio band which are often higher-powered than those of the FM non-commercial band, and to accept commercial advertising.
In 1974, Atsinger (chief executive officer] and Epperson (chairman of the board) combined their radio assets to create Salem Communications. Beginning with stations in North Carolina and California, Atsinger and Epperson purchased station properties in Boston, San Antonio, New York, San Francisco, Portland, Los Angeles and other markets, converting them to Christian talk stations. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, they expanded formats to include contemporary Christian music (with most stations under this format branded as "The Fish"), news talk (branded as "The Answer"), Spanish-language Christian content, and business programming.
Many of Salem's stations are licensed to subsidiaries, organized by geographical area and media cluster as the company has acquired new stations and their previous licensees.
Salem Communications Corp acquired Twitter curation site, Twitchy.com. In January 2014, the Company announced the acquisition of the assets of Eagle Publishing, including Regnery Publishing, Human Events, and RedState, as well as sister companies Eagle Financial Publications and Eagle Wellness.
In 2015, Salem Media Group expanded their digital platform with acquisitions of several businesses and assets, including DividendYieldHunter.com, Stockinvestor.com; DividendInvestor.com, a Spanish Bible mobile app, along with its related website and Facebook properties; the DailyBible mobile app; the Daily Bible Devotion mobile app; and also Bryan Perry's Newsletters.
In 2016, Salem Media Group continued to expand by acquiring the websites ChristianConcertAlerts.com, Historyonthenet.com and Authentichistory.com; as well as Mike Turner's line of investment products, including TurnerTrends.com; the Retirement Watch newsletter and website, Retirementwatch.com; and the King James Bible mobile application. Salem Media Group also acquired Mill City Press from Hillcrest Publishing Group, Inc.
In July 2017, Salem Media Group merged DividendYieldHunter.com and transferred all content into DividendInvestor.com.
Radio stations and licensees
Salem's radio stations are organized into six categories:
- Christian talk and teaching, which consists of brokered programming in blocks produced and paid for by local and national ministries (the long-form format makes traditional commercial breaks impossible), with some stations branded as The Mission or The Word;
- Conservative talk, a variant on the News/Talk format, focused around Salem Radio Network's Talk programs (see below). Most of these stations utilize the branding names The Answer or The Patriot;
- Contemporary Christian Music, an FM format with such stations branded as The Fish;
- Spanish-language Christian talk and/or music, utilizing the branding Radio Luz;
- Business talk, with these stations collectively branded as The Wall Street Business Network;
- and a grouping of other stations not in one of those five categories.
|AM Stations||FM Stations|
|Colorado Springs||KZNT 1460||Conservative talk|
|KBIQ 102.7||Christian adult contemporary|
|KGFT 100.7||Christian talk and teaching|
|Dallas - Fort Worth||KSKY 660||Conservative talk|
Inspiration Media, Inc.
|Seattle - Tacoma||KGNW 820||Christian talk and teaching|
|KLFE 1590||Conservative Talk|
|KNTS 1680||Regional Mexican|
New Inspiration Broadcasting Co., Inc.
|Los Angeles||KRLA 870||Conservative talk|
|KFSH-FM 95.9||Contemporary Christian Music|
|KKLA-FM 99.5||Christian talk and teaching|
|Oxnard - Ventura||KDAR 98.3||Christian talk and teaching|
|Sacramento||KFIA 710||Christian talk and teaching|
|KTKZ 1380||Conservative talk|
|KKFS 103.9||Contemporary Christian Music|
|San Diego||KCBQ 1170||Conservative talk|
|KPRZ 1210||Christian talk and teaching|
|San Francisco - Oakland||KTRB 860||Conservative talk|
|KFAX 1100||Christian talk and teaching|
Salem Communications Holding Corporation
|Phoenix||KKNT 960||Conservative talk|
|KXXT 1010||Christian talk and teaching|
|KPXQ 1360||Christian talk and teaching|
|Little Rock||KKSP 93.3||Contemporary Christian Music|
|KDIS-FM 99.5||Christian talk and teaching|
|KDXE 101.1||Conservative talk|
|Riverside - San Bernardino||KTIE 590||Conservative talk|
|Sacramento||KSAC-FM 105.5||Business talk|
|Washington, D.C.||WWRC 570||Conservative talk|
|WRCW 1250||Conservative talk (simulcasts WWRC)|
|WAVA 780||Christian talk and teaching|
|WAVA-FM 105.1||Christian talk and teaching|
|Orlando - Daytona Beach||WORL 950||Conservative talk|
|WTLN 990||Christian talk and teaching|
|Sarasota - Bradenton||WLSS 930||Conservative talk|
|Tampa - St. Petersburg||WTBN 570||Christian talk and teaching|
|WLCC 760||Christian talk and teaching|
|WGUL 860||Conservative talk|
|WTWD 910||Christian talk and teaching|
|Atlanta||WDWD 590||Christian talk and teaching|
|WGKA 920||Conservative talk|
|WNIV/970||Christian talk and teaching|
|WLTA 1400||Christian talk and teaching|
|WFSH-FM 104.7||Contemporary Christian Music|
|Boston||WEZE 590||Christian talk and teaching|
|Detroit||WDTK 1400||Conservative talk|
|WLQV 1500||Christian talk and teaching|
|Minneapolis - Saint Paul||KKMS 980||Christian talk and teaching|
|KYCR 1440||Business talk|
|KDIZ 1570||Conservative talk|
|Cleveland||WHKW 1220||Christian talk and teaching|
|WHK 1420||Conservative talk|
|Portland, Oregon||KFIS 104.1||Contemporary Christian Music|
|Philadelphia||WFIL 560||Christian talk and teaching|
|WNTP 990||Conservative talk|
|Pittsburgh||WPIT 730||Christian talk and teaching|
|WPGP 1250||Conservative talk|
|WORD-FM 101.5||Christian talk and teaching|
|Greenville, South Carolina||WGTK-FM 94.5||Conservative talk|
|WLTE 95.9||Classic Hits|
|WRTH 103.3||Classic Hits|
|Nashville||WFFI 93.7||Contemporary Christian Music|
|WFFH 94.1||Contemporary Christian Music|
|Houston - Galveston||KNTH 1070||Conservative talk|
|San Antonio||KLUP 930||Conservative talk|
Inspiration Media of Texas, LLC.
|Dallas - Fort Worth||KTNO 620||Spanish Christian|
|KLTY 94.9||Contemporary Christian Music|
|KWRD-FM 100.7||Christian talk and teaching|
Reach Satellite Network, Inc.
|Nashville||WBOZ 104.9||Contemporary Christian Music|
Salem Media of Massachusetts, LLC.
|Chicago||WYLL 1160||Christian talk and teaching|
|Boston||WROL 950||Christian talk and teaching|
|Minneapolis - Saint Paul||WWTC 1280||Conservative talk|
|Cleveland||WFHM-FM 95.5||Contemporary Christian Music|
Salem Media of Colorado, Inc.
|Denver - Boulder||KNUS 710||Conservative talk|
|KRKS 990||Christian talk and teaching|
|KBJD 1650||Spanish Christian|
|KRKS-FM 100.7||Christian talk and teaching|
Salem Media of Hawaii, Inc.
|Honolulu||KHNR 690||Conservative talk|
|KAIM-FM 95.5||Contemporary Christian Music|
|KGU-FM 99.5||Christian talk and teaching|
|KKOL-FM 107.9||Classic Hits|
Salem Media of Illinois, LLC.
|Chicago||WIND 560||Conservative talk|
|Houston - Galveston||KKHT-FM 100.7||Christian talk and teaching|
Salem Media of New York, LLC.
|New York City||WMCA 570||Christian talk and teaching|
|WNYM 970||Conservative talk|
Salem Media of Ohio, Inc.
|Columbus, Ohio||WRFD 880||Christian talk and teaching|
|WTOH 98.9||Conservative talk|
Salem Media of Oregon, Inc.
|Portland, Oregon||KPDQ 800||Christian talk and teaching|
|KPAM 860||Conservative talk|
|KDZR 1640||Regional Mexican|
|KRYP 93.1||Regional Mexican|
|KPDQ-FM 93.9||Christian talk and teaching|
Salem Media of Texas, Inc.
|San Antonio||KSLR 630||Christian talk and teaching|
SCA-Palo Alto, LLC.
|San Francisco - Oakland||KDOW 1220||Business talk|
Salem Radio Network
Salem Radio Network is a satellite radio network serving general market News/Talk stations and Christian-formatted stations through affiliate partnerships serving more than 2,700 radio stations. The five major divisions are SRN Talk, SRN News, Salem Music Network, Salem Media Reps and Vista Media Reps and SRN Satellite Services.
- SRN Talk produces general market News/Talk shows featuring nationally syndicated hosts Hugh Hewitt, Mike Gallagher, Dennis Prager, Sebastian Gorka, Brandon Tatum, and Charlie Kirk. It also produces Christian market programming featuring The Eric Metaxas Show.
- SRN News is a news source for conservative and Christian radio serving over 2,000 affiliates, and stations also take newscast branded by Salem's Townhall.com.
- The Salem Music Network has three satellite offerings – Contemporary Christian, Praise and Southern Gospel.
- Salem Media Reps specializes in Christian, family-themed and conservative media, radio, online, print and mobile.
- SRN Satellite Services provides satellite distribution and production services to over 70 organizations and ministries.
Salem's flagship publication, CCM Magazine, was in the Christian music industry for more than 25 years. Salem no longer prints CCM Magazine, but it still exists in an online-only format. Other magazine publications include Singing News Magazine, which discusses happenings involving the Southern gospel community.
Salem Author Services
Under the umbrella of Salem Author Service are Xulon Press, Mill City Press, and the websites Bookprinting.com, Bookediting.com, Publishgreen.com, and Libertyhill.com.
Xulon Press is a self-publishing digital publisher of books targeting a Christian audience. They use print on demand technologies that store books electronically and print them only as they are ordered. Xulon was founded by Christian author and publisher Tom Freiling and was acquired by Salem in 2006.
Salem Español Online
Salem owns a collection of Spanish language sites that provide a variety of Christian and family-friendly resources online. A few of those sites are CristoTarjetas.com; ElsitioCristiano.com; BibliaVida.com and LuzMundial.com.
The founders of Salem Communications support various religious causes, and are noted for their role in spreading politically conservative opinion to areas dependent on radio for current events information. In 2005, Epperson was reported in Time magazine as one of the "25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America". In 2004 he co-chaired "Americans of Faith", a religiously based Republican electoral campaign. Both founders have served on the Council for National Policy, a group of conservative influencers, intellectuals, donors, and former elected officials known to feature right-wing extremists as members, and Epperson has served as president of the Council. They gave $100,000 to the Bush presidential reelection campaign and $780,000 to the 2000 "California Defense of Marriage Act" (Proposition 22) ballot measure.
- "Salem Media Group Company Profile". Craft. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- "About Us - Salem Media Group". salem.cc.
- "Contemporary Christian Music - Station Formats - Salem Media Group". salem.cc. Archived from the original on September 15, 2012.
- "History - Salem Media Group". salem.cc. Archived from the original on September 15, 2012.
- "SALM acquisition of Twitchy.com". Archived from the original on March 25, 2014.
- "Salem rebrands to Salem Media Group". Radio Ink Magazine Archived September 24, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- "Salem Communications Corporation renamed to Salem Media Group". Radioandmusic.com. February 23, 2015.
- "Salem Media Group Announces Acquisition of DividendYieldHunter.com". Cision PR Newswire (Press release). November 2, 2015. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "StockInvestor.com". Stock Investor.
- "DividendInvestor.com". Dividend Investor.
- "Salem Media Group Announces Acquisition of Mike Turner's Line of Investment Products". Cision PR Newswire. October 27, 2016. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Retirement Watch". Retirement Watch.
- "Welcome Dividend Yield Hunter Readers". Dividend Investor. July 11, 2017. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Wemple, Erik (March 1, 2019). "Breitbart alum to resuscitate Human Events". The Washington Post. Retrieved May 17, 2019.
- "Station Lists - Salem Media Group". salemmedia.com.
- "SRN – About Us". November 14, 2017. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Salem Radio Network - Salem Media Group". salem.cc. Archived from the original on December 13, 2014. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- Salem Publishing – Salem.cc[permanent dead link]
- "Xulon Press - Salem Media Group". salemmedia.com. Archived from the original on May 16, 2017. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "Salem Communications Announces an 8.8% Increase in Second Quarter 2006 Total Revenue - Salem Media Investor Center". investor.salemmedia.com.
- "Stuart Epperson – The 25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America". Time. February 7, 2005. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- Katie Thornton (November 22, 2022). "The Divided Dial: Episode 2 - From Pulpit to Politics - On the Media". WNYC Studios (Podcast). Retrieved November 26, 2022.
- "The Council for National Policy: Behind the Curtain | Southern Poverty Law Center". Retrieved May 19, 2020.
- Berlet, Chip (2018). Trumping democracy in the United States : from Ronald Reagan to alt-right. London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-315-43839-9. OCLC 1129904664.
- Leonard, Kimberly; Relman, Eliza; Beckler, Hannah (September 24, 2021). "One of the most secretive and powerful groups in GOP politics just had its cellphone numbers leaked. Here's what its members said about Trump 2024 when we started calling". Business Insider.
- "A Higher Frequency". Mother Jones. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- Official website
- Business data for Salem Media Group: