|City||Palo Alto, California|
|Broadcast area||San Francisco Bay Area|
|Branding||Wall Street Business Network|
|Slogan||"The Bay Area's Business Leader"|
|First air date||1947|
|Power||5,000 watts day
145 watts night
|Former callsigns||KIBE (1949-1984)
|Affiliations||Wall Street Business Network
Salem Radio Network
|Owner||Salem Media Group
(SCA-Palo Alto, LLC)
|Sister stations||KFAX, KTRB|
KDOW (1220 kHz) is a commercial AM radio station broadcasting a financial news/talk format, featuring mostly brokered programming. Licensed to Palo Alto, California, United States, the station serves the greater San Francisco Bay Area. The station is owned by the Salem Media Group (SCA-Palo Alto, LLC). Its slogan is "The Bay Area's Business Leader."
The station's studios and offices are on Liberty Street in Fremont and its transmitter is in East Palo Alto west of the Dumbarton Bridge. KDOW broadcasts at 5,000 watts during the day. But because 1220 AM is a clear channel frequency reserved for Class A XEB in Mexico City, KDOW must reduce power at night to 145 watts. The station had obtained a construction permit from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission for a power increase to 50,000 watts both day and night. But the permit expired in July 2012.
The station first signed on in 1947 as KIBE. It was a daytime only station operating with 250 watts, simulcasting the classical music programming of KDFC-FM. It was owned and operated by Millard Kibbe. It became known as KDFC-AM on March 1, 1984. On August 29, 1997, the station changed its call sign to KBPA and then on February 15, 1999 the station became KBZS. On July 24, 2001, the station changed to KSFB. On July 1, 2004, the station became KNTS. On July 1, 2008, four years after becoming KNTS the station finally became known as KDOW, providing business news and financial advice programming 24/7.
Business talk shows
The station features many business and financial talk shows such as Phil Grande of The Phil's Gang Radio Show, Market Wrap with Moe Ansari, and Bryan Ellis hosting Self Directed Investor Talk.
On May 15, 2015, KDOW announced that it took over the radio broadcast rights to the San Jose SaberCats of the Arena Football League. It's the first broadcast of sports of any kind at the station.  
- "KDOW Facility Record". U.S. Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Radio Station KDOW 1220 AM Palo Alto CA
- "KDOW Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1977 pg. C-24
- Bay Area Radio Digest: 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
- "KDOW Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "Phil's Gang Radio show". 1220am KDOW. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Market Wrap with Moe Ansari". 1220am KDOW. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Self Directed Investor Talk". SelfDirected.org. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- SaberCats Announce Radio Partnership with KDOW 1220 AM, Arena Football League website, May 15, 2015
- San Jose SaberCats Announce Radio Broadcast with 1220AM KDOW, Matthew Dziak, San Jose SaberCats website, May 15, 2015
- Official website
- FCC History Cards for KDOW
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KDOW
- Radio-Locator Information on KDOW
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KDOW
|This article about a radio station in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|