|City of license||Palo Alto, California|
|Broadcast area||San Francisco Bay Area|
|Slogan||"The Bay Area's Business Leader"|
|First air date||1949|
|Power||5,000 watts day
145 watts night
|Former callsigns||KIBE (1949-1984)
|Affiliations||Wall Street Business Network
(Sca-Palo Alto, LLC)
KDOW (1220 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a financial news/talk format. Licensed to Palo Alto, California, USA, the station serves the greater San Francisco Bay Area. The station is owned by Salem Communications (SCA-Palo Alto, LLC). The station transmits in Palo Alto, California west of the Dumbarton Bridge approach at 5,000 watts during the day and 145 watts during the night. The station's studio is located in Fremont, California. Its slogan is "The Bay Area's Business Leader." The station had obtained a construction permit from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission for a power increase to 50,000 watts both day and night. The permit expired in July 2012.
The station began in 1949 as KIBE, operating daytime only with 250 watts as it simulcast the classical music programming of KDFC-FM. It was owned and operated by Millard Kibbe. It became known as KDFC-AM on March 1, 1984. On August 29, 1997, the station changed its call sign to KBPA and then on February 15, 1999 the station became KBZS. On July 24, 2001, the station changed to KSFB. On July 1, 2004, the station became KNTS. On July 1, 2008, four years after becoming KNTS the station finally became known as KDOW, providing business news and financial advice programming 24/7.
The station features many business and financial talk shows such as Phil Grande of The Phil's Gang Radio Show, Ray Lucia, Invest Talk, Market Wrap with Moe Ansari, and Joe Cucchiara host's Real Estate 360 Radio, whose slogan is "anything and everything real estate".
On May 15, 2015, KDOW announced that they took over the radio broadcast rights to the San Jose SaberCats of the Arena Football League. It's the first broadcast of sports of any kind at the station.  
- "KDOW Facility Record". U.S. Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Radio Station KDOW 1220 AM Palo Alto CA
- "KDOW Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- Bay Area Radio Digest: 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
- "KDOW Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- SaberCats Announce Radio Partnership with KDOW 1220 AM, Arena Football League website, May 15, 2015
- San Jose SaberCats Announce Radio Broadcast with 1220AM KDOW, Matthew Dziak, San Jose SaberCats website, May 15, 2015
- Official website
- FCC History Cards for KDOW
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KDOW
- Radio-Locator Information on KDOW
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KDOW
|This article about a radio station in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|