Sam Jacobs (footballer)
Jacobs in April 2017
|Full name||Samuel Jacobs|
|Date of birth||10 April 1988|
|Place of birth||Ardrossan, South Australia|
Woodville-West Torrens (SANFL)
|Draft||No. 1, 2006 rookie draft|
|Debut||Round 1, 2009, Carlton
vs. Richmond, at MCG
|Height||202 cm (6 ft 8 in)|
|Weight||102 kg (225 lb)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2016.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Sam Jacobs (born 10 April 1988) is a professional Australian rules football player who plays for the Adelaide Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). Originally from Woodville-West Torrens in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL), Jacobs was selected by Carlton with pick 1 in the 2006 Rookie Draft. He was traded to Adelaide following the 2010 season.
As a rookie-listed player, he played for Carlton's VFL-affiliate, the Northern Bullants, for the whole 2007 and 2008 seasons. Carlton retained Jacobs as a rookie in 2009; since rookie contracts are limited to two years, Carlton was forced to delist Jacobs, then redraft him, which they did with their sixth pick (number 76 overall) in the 2008 Rookie Draft. Jacobs played all four pre-season games for Carlton in the 2009 NAB Cup, and was made a nominated rookie prior the 2009 season, eligible to play AFL games. He made his debut in the first round of the season, against Richmond. He played only four games before succumbing to plantar fasciitis, causing him to miss most of the season. He returned from injury late in the year, finishing the season with the Northern Bullants, his ruckwork instrumental in getting the Bullants into the Grand Final, which they lost.
After three years as a rookie, Jacobs was promoted to the senior list at the end of the 2009 season. He played 13 games for the Blues and 10 for the Bullants during the 2010 season, again playing in a VFL Grand Final. At the end of the season, Jacobs requested to be traded back home to the Adelaide Crows. On 11 October, Jacobs was traded to the Crows in exchange for draft picks 34 (used for Patrick McCarthy) and 67 (used for Andrew McInnes).
===Adelaide (2011-2017) Jacobs played his first game for Adelaide in round 5, 2011, and held his place for the rest of the season, establishing himself as the club's premier ruckman. He ranked fifth in the league for hit-outs, averaging 32 per game. Jacobs stepped up further in 2012, leading the competition in hit-outs and hit-outs to advantage, finishing fourth in the Club Champion count and winning the club's Best Team Man award, although he was surprisingly left out of the All-Australian team. His season included a then-record 61 hit-outs in a match against Port Adelaide in round 15, for which he was awarded the Showdown Medal.
Prior to the 2013 season, Jacobs signed a three-year contract extension keeping him at the Crows until the end of 2016. Jacobs had a quieter season in 2013 but still ranked third in the competition for hit-outs. In 2014 he was back to his best, leading the AFL in hit-outs to advantage and improving his presence around the ground, having more disposals, marks and rebound 50s than any other ruckman. He continued in the same fashion in 2015, setting a new club record for hit-outs in a season with 859. Towards the end of the season he extended his contract by another three years, to the end of 2019.
- Statistics are correct to end of round 12, 2016
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- "Carlton ruckman Sam Jacobs traded to Adelaide Crows". foxsports.com.au. Fox Sports. 11 October 2010. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Blues, Hawks nominate rookies for elevation". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. 17 March 2009. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Blake, Martin; Butler, Steve (26 March 2009). "Carlton punts on new faces". The Age.
- "Changes to the Carlton List for 2010". CarltonFC.com.au. Carlton Football Club. 29 October 2009.
- "Jacobs requests trade". CarltonFC.com.au. Carlton Football Club. 27 September 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "Sam Jacobs - AFC.com.au". AFC.com.au. Adelaide Football Club.
- "Sauce puts team first". AFC.com.au. Adelaide Football Club. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Crows demolish Port Adelaide in Showdown". ABC.net.au. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 7 July 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Rucci, Michelangelo (25 February 2013). "Adelaide Crows' Sam Jacobs signs on for three more years but AFL will dissect every detail of contract". The Australian.
- Fjeldstad, Jesper (10 December 2013). "Adelaide Crows ruckman Sam Jacobs in a bid to rediscover top form of 2012". The Advertiser.
- "Adelaide Crows ruckman Sam Jacobs signs three-year contract extension". ABC.net.au. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 19 August 2015. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Sam Jacobs statistics". AFL Tables. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sam Jacobs (footballer).|