San Diego Fleet
|San Diego Fleet|
Play in SDCCU Stadium
in San Diego, California
|Alliance of American Football (2019–present)
|Team colors||Battleship gray, gray, yellow|
|General manager||Dave Boller|
|Head coach||Mike Martz|
|League championships (0)|
|Conference championships (0)|
|Division championships (0)|
The San Diego Fleet are a professional American football team based in San Diego, California and are charter members of the Alliance of American Football. The league began play in February 2019, with the team playing its home games at SDCCU Stadium. They are coached by former NFL head coach Mike Martz. The team is currently one of two active professional football teams playing in San Diego, along with the San Diego Strike Force of the Indoor Football League, and the first since the former San Diego Chargers moved to Los Angeles in 2017.
The Alliance San Diego team and head coach, Mike Martz, was announced by the Alliance of American Football on May 29, 2018. Early reports had Rick Neuheisel coaching the team before he instead agreed to take the coaching job in Phoenix. Alliance San Diego's name, logo and colors were revealed on September 25, 2018, as the San Diego Fleet (battleship gray, yellow and silver gray) along with the other three western teams. The name indicates the city's ties to the United States Navy.
Dre Bly, who had played cornerback for Martz with the St. Louis Rams, was originally slated to coach defensive backs, but stepped down to take a similar position at the University of North Carolina. Former NFL quarterback Jon Kitna was also announced as the team's offensive coordinator in June 2018. However, he did not coach a game for the Fleet as he was hired by the Dallas Cowboys in January 2019 to become their quarterbacks coach.
On February 7, 2019, the Fleet announced that KLSD and KOGO would be the team's flagship radio stations. Jon Schaeffer handles play-by-play with former Charger Rich Ohrnberger doing color commentary.
San Diego Fleet staff
The team's assigned area, which designates player rights, includes the following:
National Football League (NFL)
Canadian Football League (CFL)
San Diego Fleet roster
Roster updated February 12, 2019
- Krasovic, Tom. "AAF confirms San Diego is getting football team; what should it call itself?". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Benjamin, Cody (September 25, 2018). "LOOK: Here's a full list of team names and logos from the Alliance of American Football". CBSSports.com. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- "Rick Neuheisel: "Nothing has been finalized" with coaching return". Pro Football Talk. April 10, 2018. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Scott, Dana (October 31, 2018). "Alliance of American Football league to hold 'Protect or Pick' quarterback draft". AZ Central. USA Today Network. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- Wilson, Ryan (November 27, 2018). "Alliance of American Football QB Draft: Aaron Murray, Christian Hackenberg highlight QBs taken". CBSSports.com. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- "San Diego Fleet sets final roster". Alliance of American Football. January 30, 2019. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "New coach Dré Bly, a former star cornerback, remembers his UNC 'rude boy' days (it's a mindset)". Charlotte News & Observer. December 11, 2018. Retrieved February 3, 2019.
- Crabtree, Curtis (June 1, 2018). "San Diego AAF team to have coaching staff filled with NFL names". Profootballtalk.com. Retrieved October 11, 2018.
- "Cowboys to hire Jon Kitna as quarterbacks coach". ESPN. January 20, 2019. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- "Alliance of American Football". aaf.com. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- "Fleet and IHeartMedia Announce Flagship Agreement". Our Sports Central. February 7, 2019. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- "Alliance of American Football schedule released for Arizona Hotshots, other 7 teams". AZ Central. USA Today Network. October 16, 2018. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- Inabinett, Mark (July 12, 2018). "Alabama, Auburn players to go on Birmingham AAF team's assignment list". AL.com. Alabama Media Group. Retrieved December 5, 2018.