Santa Cruz, Cape Verde
Port of Pedra Badejo
|• Total||112.2 km2 (43.3 sq mi)|
|• Density||240/km2 (610/sq mi)|
Santa Cruz is a concelho (municipality) of Cape Verde. It is situated in the eastern part of the island of Santiago. Its seat is the city Pedra Badejo. Its population was 26,585 at the 2010 census.
Its economy is based in agriculture, in which rural population produces agricultural commodities for export to larger markets in Praia, Assomada and Fogo. Small market centers exist in São Lourenço dos Órgãos and Pedra Badejo, which act primary as commodity exchanges where subsistence farmers exchange goods as available with merchants who transport and sell goods in larger markets. The primary agricultural productions include fodder (usually in the form of maize stalks), bananas, papayas and coconuts. Prior to 1981 the area also produced a substantial percentage of the island's maize, but the arrival of large-scale international food aid, while vastly improving the region’s food security, made producing foodstuffs unprofitable. Maize and legumes are still the region's primary agricultural product, though 97% is consumed by the families that produce it. The mixture of nitrogen fixing and nitrogen consuming crops reduces the need for chemical fertilizers, allowing small farmers to remain solvent despite little cash income.
The dry-season economy is directed primarily by agricultural cooperatives, which assign stonemasonry, carpentry and other construction tasks through contracts awarded by the local governments. The president of the cooperative acts as a de facto village headman in areas where there are no government representative.
The municipality consists of one freguesia (civil parish), Santiago Maior. The freguesia is subdivided into the following settlements:
- Achada Belbel (pop: 767)
- Achada Fazenda (pop: 2,592)
- Achada Igreja (pop: 142)
- Achada Lage (pop: 686)
- Achada Ponta (pop: 403)
- Boaventura (pop: 424)
- Boca Larga (pop: 186)
- Cancelo (pop: 2,042)
- Chã da Silva (pop: 1,152)
- Librão (pop: 297)
- Matinho (pop: 737)
- Monte Negro (pop: 562)
- Pedra Badejo (pop: 9,859, city)
- Porto Madeira (pop: 400)
- Rebelo (pop: 153)
- Renque Purga (pop: 904)
- Ribeira Seca (pop: 720)
- Ribeirão Almaço (pop: 158)
- Ribeirão Boi (pop: 388)
- Rocha Lama (pop: 724)
- Saltos Abaixo (pop: 535)
- Santa Cruz (pop: 2,019)
- São Cristovão (pop: 442)
- Serelho (pop: 293)
The municipality was created in 1971, when two parishes of the older Municipality of Praia were separated to become the Municipality of Santa Cruz. In 2005, a southern parish of the municipality was split off to become the Municipality of São Lourenço dos Órgãos.
|Population of Santa Cruz, Cape Verde (1980—2010)|
At the federal level, it belongs to the constituency of Santiago North. Since 2004, the African Party for the Independence of Cape Verde (PAICV) is the ruling party of the municipality. The results of the latest elections, in 2016:
|Party||Municipal Council||Municipal Assembly|
- Elida Almeida, singer
- Nilson António, footballer
- Djaniny, footballer
- Lito, footballer and manager
- Tino Santos, footballer
The municipality of Santa Cruz is twinned with:
- Câmara Municipal de Santa Cruz
- ANMCV (Associação Nacional dos Municípios Cabo-Verdianos - National Association of the Capeverdean Municipalities)
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 24 November 2016.
- Cabo Verde, Statistical Yearbook 2015, Instituto Nacional de Estatística, p. 32-33
- Conselho de Santa Cruz. Inventário dos recursos turísticos, p. 12
- Lei nº 64/VI/2005, p. 34
- Source: Statoids
- Includes the population of the present-day São Lourenço dos Órgãos municipality.
- Source: Instituto Nacional de Estatísticas Archived 2008-11-18 at the Wayback Machine..
- Official results local elections 2016, Boletim Oficial I Série, Número 53, 23 September 2016
- "Geminações de Cidades e Vilas" [Twinning of Cities and Towns]. Associação Nacional de Municípios Portugueses [National Association of Portuguese Municipalities] (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Storia e Gemellaggi, Candiolo